No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Belhaj sues former British foreign secretary

byMichel Cousins
May 22, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

London, 19 April:

A former British foreign secretary is being sued by Abdul Hakim Belhaj over claims that he personally . . .[restrict]authorised Belhaj’s rendition back to Libya by the CIA in 2004.

The allegations, which were published in the British newspaper The Sunday Times, state that Jack Straw, who was then foreign secretary under Prime Minister Tony Blair, authorised the CIA to transfer Belhaj from Thailand via the UK-controlled Indian Ocean territory territory, Diego Garcia.

Belhaj’s lawyer, Sapna Malik, has also alleged that it was the British who first alerted Libya to Belhaj’s presence in Malaysia, from where he was planning to fly to the UK to claim political asylum.

Belhaj is also suing the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), the government department in charge of MI6, the UK’s secret intelligence service, as well as Sir Mark Allen, who was head of MI6 at the time.

Belhaj’s lawyers have said that their primary objective in bringing legal action against Straw is to obtain a public acknowledgement of his and the British government’s role in the event, which led to Belhaj being tortured by Qaddafi’s security forces once back in Libyan custody.

Straw has refused to comment on the allegations, as they are subject to an ongoing investigation by the Metropolitan Police.

Back in 2004, the Blair government was seeking to develop closer relations with Libya in order to bolster cooperation from the Qaddafi regime on a number of issues.

The British were eager for Libya to follow through on its commitment to dismantle its nuclear weapons programme, which Qaddafi announced he would do in December 2003, as well as to develop closer cooperation with Libya on international terrorism.

Prior to fighting in last year’s revolution, Belhaj was the leader of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), an Islamist militant organisation said to have links with Al-Qaeda.

British intelligence had reason to believe that the LIFG was involved in recruiting young British Muslims to fight against British and other international forces in Iraq, and Belhaj himself was believed to have fought with the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The British believed that the LIFG took part in a secret meeting in Istanbul in 2002 where a decision was made to attack targets in North Africa and Europe. The Moroccan city of Cassablanca was bombed the following year. The LIFG was also allegedly linked to the Madrid bombings on 11 March 2004 in which almost 200 people were killed.

Abdul Hakim Belhaj (Photo: Umar Khan)

Should Straw’s involvement in Belhaj’s rendition to Libya be proved, it would represent a serious embarrassment both for him and the British government. Both have strenuously denied the UK’s involvement in such practices in the past.

If successful in his claims, Belhaj could win compensation of up to £1 million. Some British news outlets have claimed that Belhaj has already been offered this amount by the UK government in order to avoid MI6 having to appear in open court.  Belhaj himself appeared to confirm the offer this week when he announced that he would not accept it.

 

 

 

Tweet
[/restrict]

RELATED POSTS

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Investor protection laws planned

Occupational Health and Safety day to be held in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.