No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Al-Kib visits Sebha

byMichel Cousins
December 30, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Sebha, 2 April:
Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib flew into Sebha yesterday in an effort to bring about a resolution to a dispute . . .[restrict]now believed to have killed 147 people and left 395 wounded and demonstrate the government’s commitment to the area. Currently, a ceasefire between the warring parties, Tebus and local Sebha residents largely from the Abu Seif tribe, appears to be holding. Al-Kib was companied by Defense Minister Colonel Osama Juwaili, the Commander-in-Chief General Yousef Al-Mangoush and the chief of intelligence department.

Asked to give his assessment of the situation, Al-Kib responded, “It’s much better than I thought”.

The conflict in Sebha, which began on March 26, has echoes of February’s dispute in the south-eastern region of Kufra, where inter-tribal rivalries and migratory issues led to a series of clashes that left more than 130 people dead. In both conflicts, Tebus and fighters from neighbouring Chad have been drawn into violence with ethnic Arabs who view the Tebu as foreigners.

In Kufra, order was ultimately restored when Libyan armed forces were sent to the region. Some 3,000 soldiers and border guards have also been deployed to Sebha, and local residents are hoping for a similar outcome here.

Speaking in Sebha, Al-Kib sought to emphasise Libyan unity, stating that “Every Libyan is important to us. We’re going to take care of them like we do take care of any other Libyan, like brothers and sisters.” He did, however, acknowledge the wider context of the disputes: “This problem has an historical background”, he said, “the past regime has used and abused this problem”.

RELATED POSTS

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Al-Kib also denounced attacks against people and their property regardless of their tribal affiliations. They were were against law he said. During his meeting with Sebha locals he said that the government would take action against those involved in such attacks.

Regarding the armed forces in Sebha, AL-Kib said that the military leadership and armed forces in south would not be in the hands of any city or any revolutionary brigade. It would come under the defence ministry alone and that an officer for Sebha military zone which includes Shatti, Sebha. Obari, Ghat, and Murzuk, had been appointed.

Meanwhile NTC chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil declared the southern region of Libya to be a military zone, and  confirmed a military leader had been appointed following the recent ceasefire agreement in the area. Speaking at a new conference on Sunday in Tripoli, Jalil also confirmed that national army forces had now secured all locations in Sebha.

According to the TNC, the Libyan air force is currently on patrol over Sebha and the surrounding areas to ensure full implementation of the ceasefire.  The TNC statement added that most of the wounded were taken to Tripoli and that the Ministry of Health had sent ambulances and medical supplies to the city. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

No attack on Belgian embassy

Danish trade delegation due April 29

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.