No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Stock Market reopens in Tripoli; companies to be privatised in 2013

byMichel Cousins
March 16, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Stockmarket traders and employees line up for the re-opening day (Photo: Marcus Rhinelander)

by Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 15 March: Libya’s nascent Stock Exchange resumed trading today in further evidence of Libya’s recovery from last year’s eight-month war. It had been closed for over a year.  Even before then, there had been limited activity. Libya under Qaddafi did not have much history of stock market trading.

Under the previous regime, the Stock Market was dominated by a dozen or so state-owned enterprises, mainly banks and insurance companies. Its new head, Ahmed Karoud, says he is optimistic that it will attract foreign investors as it slowly develops.

The re-opening of the Stock Market comes as Libya awaits the release of its record 2012 budget of LD 68.5 ($55) billion.

The Libyan Stock Market first opened in 2007 in Benghazi, with a branch in Tripoli.  However, the next year the situation was reversed with the main office moving to Tripoli, in part it is said because of Qaddafi’s hostility to Benghazi.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

The market closed on February 2o, 2011, after the revolution started.  At the time there were just 10 companies being traded.  The company that runs the exchange is itself one of the traded companies.  Thirty percent of the company is owned by the government, 25 percent by banks and the rest by investors. It has 90 employees in Tripoli and Benghazi.

According to Ahmed Karoud, the market’s general manager, there are no restrictions on foreign ownership of Libya companies.  They have partnerships with stock exchanges in Londn, Abu Dhabi and Cairo.  They are memebrs of the Union of Arab Stock Exchanges.

Nine brokerage companies have been approved for trading on the exchange.

Two new funds will be active on the exchange in 2o12, according to Karoud, one an Islamic fund, the other a real estate fund.

Karoud also told Libya Herald at the opening that “we want government to support private companies to rebuild. Before, the biggest companies were state-owned.” He revealed that “the government will sell off state-owned companies in 2013,” adding that “we need to restructure the government companies first, to reevaluate them, and then announce through the media the sell off to ensure there is no corruption”.

Libya is also currently reviewing its Commercial Laws in an effort to create a more business-friendly environment for both internal and external investors.

Libya Herald has been able to see a draft copy of the new Commercial Law which, although is still based on the existing law, has made an attempt to improve its operation by adjusting the internal regulations.

Work on the reform was started last month, led by the Ministry of Economy in close cooperation with the Libyan business community, represented by the chambers of commerce and the various business councils.

Local businessmen say that for the Stock Exchange to take-off beyond its current limited total capitalization of about LD 4 ($3.6) billion, it will depend on a wide-scale and parallel reform of the Libyan administrative and governmental institutions. An example cited is the need to work on transforming the bureaucracy, such as its Commercial Registry, from a paper-based to an electronic system.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredgovernment sell offLibya. stockmarket

Related Posts

High-level Libyan government delegation arrives in Guinea to regain ownership of illegally confiscated investment assets
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

August 29, 2025
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

August 28, 2025
Libya and Shell discuss several areas of cooperation
Business

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

August 28, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Business

Aldabaiba-British Ambassador discussions include resumption of British Airways Libya flights and creating attractive Libyan investment environment for foreign companies

August 28, 2025
‘‘Enhancing skills related to the green and blue economy to enhance employment opportunities’’ workshop held in Tripoli
Business

Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

August 27, 2025
The International Forum & Exhibition for Free Zones – Misrata: 28 to 29 June at Misrata Free Zone
Business

Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libyan Iron & Steel Company re-opens Misrata factories

Mangoush ends military talks in Qatar

Mangoush ends military talks in Qatar

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.