No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Jibril calls on women to stand in elections

byMichel Cousins
March 11, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Jibril calls on women to stand in elections

Mahmoud Jibril has withdrawn the "whip" from his NFA members in the GNC and in government (Photo: From archives by Sami Zaptia)

Day event in Tripoli's Mehari hotel  Photo: Marcus Rhinelander”]

Tripoli, 10 March: Former Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril has called on Libyan women to become politically active.

Speaking at a conference on Saturday in Tripoli to mark International Women’s Day, he encouraged women to take part in the country’s developing democracy.  They should stand for elections, he said. They should vote.  “Women’s votes will make the difference,” he declared.

He also said that women’s rights had begun to be sidelined in the past three or four months of the momentous changes that were the Arab Spring. Women were insufficiently represented in what was happening.

He said that women in Libya should not expect rights to be given to them; they should take them.

Other speakers agreed that Libyan women should take an active part in the upcoming elections, among them Benghazi lawyer Amal Bugaigis. She called for women to go into political life.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The event, which attracted over 600 people, among them many of the most active and powerful women in the country, was also addressed by a number of mothers of young Libyans who had died in last year’s freedom struggle.  Their contributions were highly emotional and many in the audience were in tears listening to them.

One described how her daughter was due to have been married the day after she was killed.

Another told how she had tried to persuade her son that it was too dangerous to join protests in what was then Green Square on 20 February last year, where he was shot. Before he left, she recounted, he said: “If I die, I will die proud.  If I live, I will live in freedom.”

The event was organised by four groups: the Coaltiion of National Forces, the Association of Families for Charity, the National Support Group and the Committee to Support Women’s Participation in Decision Making.

Meanwhile, prime minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib, at the end of his US visit, has also said that women must play a major role in the new Libya.

Speaking at Washington’s Carnegie Endowment for International Peace on Friday evening he said that he believed that women had to “play a role” in the new Libya “This is not an option,” he said, adding there were “some very smart Libyan ladies” in the audience, among them his minister of social affairs, Mabruka al-Sherif Jibril.

“They will have a place” in the new Libya, he said. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredJibrilLibyawomen's day

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
NTC suspends Ahmed Zubair Senussi

NTC suspends Ahmed Zubair Senussi

Grandiose construction projects for the bin?

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.