No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

British journalists handed over to government

byMichel Cousins
March 15, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, March 14: Two British journalists held by Misrata’s Saadoun Swehli brigade for the past three weeks have been released into . . .[restrict]the custody of the government. The deputy interior minister Umar Khadrawi confirmed the move on Wednesday.

Nicholas Davies-Jones and Gareth Montgomery-Johnson were seized on February 21 while photographing in Tripoli. They were working for Iran’s Press TV and had been in Libya for the past six months without visas, both of which local observers said did not help their situation.

At one point, the head of the brigade, Faraj Swehli, even suggested they were Israeli spies. They were held in the brigade’s headquarters in Tripoli at the Girl’s Military Academy.

“The British journalists are in our custody and will be released following procedural interrogation,” Khadrawi has said.

It is thought they will be deported.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

On Tuesday, a video of the two in seemingly good condition was released by the brigade.  In it they apologised for entering Libya illegally.

Ever since the two were seized, the government tried to get the brigade to hand them over, calling the brigade’s action illegal. International human rights organizations such as Amnesty International also called for their release, demanding that the brigade hand them over to the authorities. However, it persistently refused and it seemed that the two had become pawns in a power struggle.

The situation fundamentally changed with last week’s three-day national conference in the brigade’s home city of Misrata. On Thursday, the NTC, local councils and brigades from across the country agreed that all militias must return to their home towns within a week and hand over all functions and assets they hold to the national authorities.  That included, in this case, the two Britons.

With the Misrata local council actively supporting the move, the Saadoun Swehli brigade had little room for manoeuvre and said they would comply, although no date was set.

On Tuesday, however, it seemed as if it might be backtracking. In an interview on Libya TV, a spokesman for the brigade questioned whether it should return to Misrata at the moment, claiming that it was needed in Tripoli where, he claimed, it was protecting 200 site. Pressed by the interviewer, he was unable to name more than a handful.

The apparent backtracking brought a stiff response from Interior Minister Fawzi Abdelal who said that the government would continue to negotiate with the brigades that did not return home but if that failed it would use force against them. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Government starts to take over ports and airports in West

Interior Minister discusses policing with French

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.