By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, March 29: Benghazi’s Military judge . . .[restrict]Ali Al-Hamdi is reported to have resigned today, Thursday, following demonstrations on Wednesday over his decision to release a number of former Qaddafi officers and soldiers accused of having being involved in last year’s assault on the city. He ordered their release on Monday.
It is alleged that before resigning he revoked the release of the former soldiers, arrested a year ago when their convoy heading to Benghazi was captured.
A number of angry demonstrators gathered on Wednesday outside the city’s Tibesti hotel to protesting their release. They had first marched to the military court it had been closed before their arrival.
“We came out to call for justice and condemn the decision of the military court to release them after they have committed crimes in Ajdabia and Brega, and tried to enter Benghazi to kill women and children” a demonstrator said on Wednesday.
“The blood of those who sacrificed their souls for freedom have been disrespected,” another said. They called on the NTC and the government to punish Al-Hamdi and other court officials who had approved the release decision. [/restrict]