No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya has ‘reservations’ on Italy treaty: report

byMichel Cousins
January 20, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya has ‘reservations’ on Italy treaty: report

National Transitional Council leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil meets with Field Marshal Mohammed Hussein Tantawi, head of Egypt's ruling military council,

National Transitional Council leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil meets with Egypt's Field Marshal Mohammed Hussein Tantawi.

TRIPOLI, Dec 13, 2011 (AFP) -Libya said on Tuesday it has reservations about “certain points” in a 2008 . . .[restrict]treaty of friendship with former colonial power Italy, signed by the late dictator Moamer Kadhafi and former premier Silvio Berlusconi.
Libya “has reservations on a certain number of points included in the accord which need to be looked at again by the two countries,” Mohammed Abdel Aziz, deputy foreign minister, was cited as saying by the official Wal news agency.
Abdel Aziz said the head of the ruling National Transitional Council, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, will be flying to Rome on Thursday to discuss the details of the treaty with Italian authorities.
“The vision of the new Libya is different from the previous regime when it comes to cooperation with Italy,” he said, but added that the treaty did have some points on which both nations agreed.
The treaty was suspended when the Libyan uprising started in February.
Abdel Aziz’s comments came as he ended a meeting with Domenico Giorgi, the head of the Mediterranean and the Middle East desk in Italy’s foreign ministry.
Italy had been a close ally and economic partner of the ousted regime since the 2008 friendship treaty which was signed in Benghazi.
Italian companies were granted billions of euros in contracts in exchange for $5 billion in compensation for colonial rule, to be paid over 25 years.
The treaty also includes construction of around 1,700 kilometres (1,050 miles) of motorway coastline in Libya at a cost of $3 billion.
More than 180 Italian businesses had taken advantage of the favourable terms for trade links, including Finmeccanica, Impreglio and ENI, which became the biggest foreign energy producer in Libya.
The treaty also allows Italy to send back immigrants reaching its shores from Libya.
Tripoli in return undertakes to limit illegal immigration from its shores.
On December 5, Libya said its forces had prevented more than 400 Africans from illegally emigrating to Italy when they intercepted a boat off the coast of the North African country.
But some immigrants said they were victims of a planned fraud.
Before the start of the an-Kadhafi revolution, the former leaders of the two countries maintained close relations and celebrated the anniversary of the treaty on August 30 every year.
During a visit in September, Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini sought to rebuild Rome’s close ties with Tripoli, saying Italy was ready to unfreeze vast sums of Libyan funds and resume key energy projects.
Frattini then said a key first step would be for Italy to release about 2.5 billion euros ($3.36 billion) in Libyan funds frozen under Kadhafi.
Frattini also said he expected the Greenstream pipeline — which carries Libyan natural gas across the Mediterranean to Italy and was shut down in February — to resume operating by the end of October.
Frattini had also dismissed claims that Italy had been too close to Kadhafi and not done enough to support the revolution against his 42-year rule.
Italy was Libya’s colonial ruler from 1911 until World War II.

[/restrict]

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Algeria, Mauritania pledge to boost Sahel security

Libya drops election quota for women

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.