No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Deadly Benghazi port battle follows burning of seized hashish: at least four dead

byNigel Ash
June 22, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Deadly Benghazi port battle follows burning of seized hashish: at least four dead

The containers and their refrigeration unit unloaded onto the dock (Photo Police and Customs)

By Noorah Ibrahim, Ayman Amzien and Muttaz Ahmed

The containers and their refrigeration unit unloaded onto the dock (Photo Police and Customs)
The containers and their refrigeration unit unloaded onto the dock (Photo: Police and Customs)

Benghazi, 21 June 2014:

A substantial drugs bust this morning in Benghazi port appears to . . .[restrict]have triggered a major fire fight which has raged for much of the evening leaving at least four dead and 17 injured.

It is being assumed that after the police and customs, acting on a tip off, discovered and immediately burnt on the dockside a large consignment of hashish, the drugs dealers whose shipment it was, responded by launching an attack. The assault,  at around 5pm, was focused on the main port gates.  Police and forces from the Benghazi Joint Security Room took on the attackers said JSR spokesman Ibrahim Alshara.

It appears that both sides were augmented in the course of the battle. Saiqa special forces came to support the port defenders, while it is being maintained that members of the Libya Shield joined the attackers.  At one point a sniper began shooting into the docks, apparently from a high rise that overlooks the port.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Three of the dead were taken to Jalaa Hospital where a spokesman said they were all wearing army uniforms. Their names are to be released tomorrow, though there is an unconfirmed report that one of the dead was a Saiqa commander. The hospital also took in four wounded, who were all said to be in a stable condition. A further body was brought to the Benghazi Medical Centre along with 13 injured, whose condition is unknown.

One eye witness thought that the firing around the port had been every bit as heavy as at the start of Operation Dignity against Islamic militias in the city.

Operation Dignity spokesman Mohammed Hejazi said that the attackers had been trying to seize control of the ship. He also asked members of the public to get off the streets during fighting, rather than coming out to watch what was happening.

According to the head of port security, Ali Elumami, the refrigerated containers in which the drugs were concealed were aboard the Liberian-flagged container ship Jaguar. It had arrived in Benghazi from Malta at 7pm on Thursday.  When unloading began this morning, officials examined two containers. In wooden crates loaded with fruit, they discovered the hashish.

smoke from burning hashish
The sight of burning drugs may have triggered the deadly port attack (Photo: Facebook)

Though it has been variously reported that the haul weighed between seven and ten tons, Elumami told the Libya Herald that in fact the drugs were not weighed. Once the public prosecutor arrived to witness the destruction, the hashish had petrol poured over it and was  set on fire. A large pall of smoke drifted away from the town and out to sea.

The way in which the drugs were packed and shipped was precisely the same as two consignments discovered earlier this month at Khoms and Benghazi. In each case the vessels concerned had, like the Jaguar, begun their journeys in Senegal and stopped over in Malta.

With additional reporting from Seraj Essul and Ashraf Abdul Wahab in Tripoli [/restrict]

Tags: Benghazidrugs bustfeaturedJaguarJCRLibyaLibya ShieldSaiqa

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Eight feared killed in three days of Sebha violence

Overseas voters cast their ballots in elections to the House of Representatives

Overseas voters cast their ballots in elections to the House of Representatives

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.