No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Currency plunge forces CBL to restrict medical and study plans abroad

byMichel Cousins
November 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 6 November 2015:

In what appears to be a coordinated move with Dar Al-Ifta of Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani, recognised . . .[restrict]in most of western Libya as the country’s grand mufti, the Central Bank of Libya has said that acquiring foreign currency should be restricted to those requiring medical treatment aboard or studying outside the country.

Earlier this week in a statement claiming that currency exchange dealers were criminals, Ghariani said that only students or those needing medical treatment abroad should be allowed to exchange dinars for foreign currency because of the current economic crisis.

With the dinar plunging against the US dollar and other currencies, the Central Bank has now put a ceiling for such coverage equivalent of $15,000 a year per person in Libyan dinars.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

The figure – intended to regulate the cost of education and treatment for Libyan citizens in foreign countries according to a CBL statement – is below major hospitalisation and medical bills in much of Europe and the US and certainly below the combined cost of annual tuition and living expenses for students in the same places. If rigidly adhered to for any length of time, it is going to make life for Libyan students and those seeking major medical treatment abroad extremely difficult.

To be able to exchange dinars for hard currency under the new restrictions, the CBL said, applicants will be required to submit a “verified medical report from a foreign medical centre or hospital, the official receipts and a completed application form with national ID number,” among other documents.

Libyan students already enrolled in foreign universities should also submit their official applications along with an “official letter from the university confirming that the student is continuing studies, and official transcript verified by the Libyan embassy in that country.”

The dinar’s continuing collapse over the past week is unprecedented. It has lost around third of its value against most currencies, reaching an all-time high of LD 3.74 against a US dollar.

Tripoli-based traders said a recent public rush to buy foreign exchange had caused the collapse of dinar, mainly because not enough dollars were available to supply the market. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

CBL deflects criticism of LD loss of value onto oil blockades

New HoR boycott warning as Ageela Salah's Saudi Arabian visit threatens to prevent vote on unity government

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.