No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Cash for goods subsidy reform adopted by Tripoli authorities

bySami Zaptia
May 21, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Cash-for-goods subsidy reform may finally be introduced in Libya (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
Cash-for-goods subsidy reform may finally be introduced in Libya (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tunis, 21 May 2015:

The Tripoli-based authorities have announced that they are to introduce subsidy reform by introducing the . . .[restrict]substitution of cash for goods reform long heralded by previous Libyan governments, the Central Bank of Libya, the IMF and World Bank.

In a statement released yesterday, the Tripoli authorities said that ‘’in order to deliver funds to the Libyan citizen directly and in order to cut off the road to smugglers who steel the livelihood of the Libyan people, smuggling these goods across the desert and the sea, (and) sensing the risks that threaten the country such as illegal immigration associated with the smuggling of fuel and goods (and) in order to rationalize expenditure and the maintenance of public funds’’, they have decided to introduce a cash for goods allowance of LD 50 per month for every Libyan citizen.

The Tripoli authorities allayed public fears by stressing that the prices of subsidized goods would only be marked up to market cost prices after the launch of the cash allowance for subsidies.

RELATED POSTS

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

They added that the decision was in the public interest and in order to bring prosperity to (Libya) with a rational policy that respects the needs of citizens and keeps away the hands of smugglers and profiteers.

 

Subsidies 2014 Budget LD billion
1 Medicines 0.700
2 Food stuffs 1.800
3 Fuels 7.000
4 Electricity + public lighting 0.800
5 Water and sanitation 0.400
6 Garbage/Public Cleanliness 0.514
7 Animal feed 0.031
8 Fertilizer (urea) 0.006
9 Child benefit (2013) 0.031
Total: 11.931

Source Libyan government budget 2014

 

It will be recalled that in February this year the Tripoli-based authorities had said that the cash grant to replace subsidized goods would amount to only LD 30 per person per month. The cash would be deposited in citizens’ accounts, they had claimed.

In February, the Tripoli authorities had proposed that subsidies for staple foods, fuel, electricity and medicines used to amount to LD 8 bn in 2010 and that they then jumped up by LD 2.5 bn to LD 10.5 bn by 2013.

They had claimed that data confirmed that Libya’s population did not surpass 6.3 million, whereas the National Supply Company (NASCO), the state body that imports Libya’s subsidized foodstuffs, imports the equivalent for a population of over 8 million.

In July last year the 2014 budget had by law committed Libya to subsidy reform by 1 January 2015. It will also be recalled that the World Bank, IMF and Central Bank of Libya have been pushing the Libyan authorities to reform Libya’s subsidy systems for years.

It is ironic that in all the decades when Libya’s economy was in surplus and its oil exports were high, the Libyan state had failed to tackle the issue of the country’s runaway subsidies.

It is has taken the current acute economic and political crises that Libya is facing to force both the opposing Libyan political factions to confront the rapidly depleting state funds, that has forced the hand of subsidy reform.

 

For a fuller analyses of Libya’s subsidies see the Libya Herald July 2014 article : 2014 budget commits government to subsidy reform by January 2015

  [/restrict]

Tags: CBL Central Bank of LibyafeaturedIMFsubsidy reformWB World Bank

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges
Business

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

May 17, 2026
Sebha airport closed for urgent runway maintenance until end of April
Business

Sebha’s newly developed airport inaugurated during a lavish ceremony

May 17, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

May 16, 2026
Next Post

IS suicide bomb at checkpoint southeast of Misrata

LNA claims first joint operation with Misrata against IS

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.