No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA claims to have thwarted Ansar operation in Benghazi’s Hawari district and be making advances

byMichel Cousins
April 9, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

The entrance to Hawari hospital
Hawari hospital (file photo)

Benghazi, 9 April 2015:

The Libya National Army (LNA) says it has stopped an attempt by forces of the . . .[restrict]Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC) to break out of Hawari district into Buhdeima.

The BRSC, of which Ansar Al-Sharia is a major component, is pinned down in Hawari, Gwarsha, Garyunis and Leithi to the south and south-east or the city and in Suq Al-Hout and Sabri in the centre.

A counter-offensive during the past three days saw LNA aircraft bombarding BRSC positions in Hawari.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

In a statement refuting claims that militants had made advances, Colonel Mohamed Hejazi, spokesman for Operation Dignity which is part of the LNA, pointed out that the military police headquarters on the Hawari–Buhdeima borders was very much under army control. It was recaptured last month.

In the fighting in Hawari, the LNA added that yesterday it managed to free four civilians held prisoner in a house there by the militants. The circumstances of the operation have not been revealed although the LNA claimed that the BRSC fighters had tried to use the four as human shields in the action.

According to the pro-HoR Beida-based office of the Libyan news agency LANA, three are Libyan and have been named Fathi Al-Malti, Ibrahim Abdussalam Emsalati and Miloud Shalawi. The fourth is an Egyptian, Saad Ahmed Khaled.

Despite their ordeal, they were said to be in good health.

Meanwhile it has been announced that General Khalifa Hafter has appointed Colonel Mohamed Salem Al-Addali as military commander of Benghazi, with Colonel Hashim Buraqeh Mohamed Alkazah as his deputy.

Also announced today is a denial from 309 Battalion that it was stopping operations because of a lack of ammunition. A battalion spokesman said that reports were untrue, that there was no shortage of ammunition or military equipment and that the battalion was loyal to General Command.

Away from the front line in the south of the city, life is as it was before the crisis. In fashionable Dubai Street today, the Libya Herald reporter saw shops and cafés full of people, the internet was working, restaurants were open, the police were visible and there was a distinct mood of confidence that the city’s trials would soon be over. In the cafés, the talk was of the coming battle in the capital.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
New government spokesman appointed

New government spokesman appointed

David Sproule starts work as Canada’s new ambassador to Libya

David Sproule starts work as Canada's new ambassador to Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.