No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italy, Egypt and Algeria to intensify collaboration over Libya

byMichel Cousins
April 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italy, Egypt and Algeria to intensify collaboration over Libya

By Libya Herald staff.

trilaterale
Foreign Ministers of Egypt (left), Italy (centre) and Algeria’s Minister for Maghreb and African Affairs (Photo: Italian Foreign Ministry)

Tunis, 8 April 2015:

Italy, Egypt and Algeria have agreed to “intensify” joint efforts to fight the growth of . . .[restrict]terrorist forces in Libya and to pool information as part of the move.

The decision was taken at a meeting in Rome this afternoon of the three countries’ ministers dealing with Libya. They also agreed to continue backing the UN bid to create a Libyan national unity government.

“We have decided to intensify our efforts and our work together to promote the activities of UN envoy Bernardino Leon trying to stabilise the situation in Libya,” Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said at a press conference attended by his Egyptian counterpart, Sameh Shoukri, and Algeria’s Minister for Maghreb and African Affairs, Abdelkader Messahel.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libyan Italian Economic Forum – 16 May at 50th Tripoli International Fair

Earlier Gentiloni met separately with the President of the Libyan House of Representatives, Ageela Saleh Gwaider, who had been invited to Rome by the Speaker of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, Laura Boldrini.

During their talks, Gentiloni reinforced Italy’s “strong support” for the UN-brokered dialogue saying that he hoped it would speed up.

“An inclusive approach and a government founded on a broad-based consensus are necessary to enable the international community to fully engage in the process of rebuilding and stabilising the country and combating terrorism”, Gentiloni told Gwaider.

For his part, Gwaider told the Italian Foreign Minister that he was committed a national unity government that included all Libyan forces that rejected terrorism.

At the later press conference, Gentiloni noted that a stable Libya with a “more inclusive” government would be “an opportunity for development and peace for our three countries [Italy, Egypt and Algeria].”

Algeria’s Messahel said that it made sense to coordinate policy and strategy on the terrorist threat from Libya, warning that the situation in Libya had to be brought under control otherwise it would impact on his own country’s security.

The Egyptian Foreign Minister also underlined the urgency of stabilising the situation in Libya, but also stressed that his country was committed to supporting the House of Representatives (HoR) in Tobruk as the legitimate authority in Libya. Cairo would, he said, happily accept a National Unity Government but it had to be one approved by the HoR. It also had to be one that genuinely represented the Libyan people and reflected the different “components of Libya”.

All three ministers said that they believed by coordinating on Libya, they would limit threats in their own countries from terrorists.

The three agreed to meet again in Cairo on a date to be announced.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: algeriaEgyptfeaturedItalyLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

International community recognizes legitimacy of new NOC: Thinni

After Misrata, now GNC back peddles on Skhirat Dialogue

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.