No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA carries out anti-Ansar operation in Leithi, but other parts of Benghazi now seen as safe

byMichel Cousins
December 15, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
LNA carries out anti-Ansar operation in Leithi, but other parts of Benghazi now seen as safe

There has been massive destruction in Bel Awn in the LNA's successful operation to secure it (Photo: Social media)

By Adam Ali and Maha Sulaiman.

There has been massive destruction in Bel Awn in the LNA's successful operation to secure it (Photo: Social media)
There has been massive destruction in Bel Awn in the LNA’s successful operation to secure it (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 4 December 2014:

East Benghazi’s Leithi district, one of the last strongholds of Ansar Al-Sharia in . . .[restrict]the city, has seen some of its heaviest fighting to date in the past 24 hours after Operation Dignity forces launched an offensive in the area.  Following shelling of the area ysterday, the LNA entered it shortly after midnight from three separate areas: Suq al Lahoum.  Buhdeima and Hay Al Zawia (previously known as Hay Al-Fatah).

One local resident told the Libya Herald that the noise of the clashes had been massive and frightening.  He told how he had been phoned at 2 am this morning by a friend who lived three streets away.

“He asked if I was OK and then told me that a missile had hit his house,” the resident said. “I told him to come to my home. I went outside but guns were firing away. I was crouching on my knees in the street. I called out to him.  He too was on his knees up the road. Honestly, I thought I was going to die. I’ve never been so frightened. I shouted to him to stay where he was until the shooting stopped. Then when it stopped I told him to run to me as quick as possible.  He did.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

“About half an hour in my house he suddenly started shacking and could not move.  It was shock.”

Not far away, the resident said, a butcher’s shop and the apartment above it was on fire.  “People called the fire department to come and put it would but they could not because of fighting.”

Meanwhile there are persistent rumours in the area that Ibrahim Bernawi, brother of Walid Bernawi, an Ansar commander in the district, was captured by the LNA during the operation.

Despite the fighting, many local residents have not evacuated the area. “They are still at home, expecting any moment to be told to evacuate. But they don’t want to leave,” said the local resident. “They are afraid that the area will be damaged like Bel Awn. and Suq Al Hoot.”

There has been massive damage in Bel Awn district with many commercial premises destroyed in the fighting between the LNA on the one side and Ansar and its allies on the other. The area is now under LNA control although it is said to be still too dangerous for residents to return. An Ansar sniper, said by some to be a member of the Bernawi family, is reported to be firing at  anything that moves.

According to Saqr Adam Geroushi, commander of the LNA air force, the Sabri district is also not wholly clear. Snipers, he told this newspaper, were still holed up at a hotel. There were snipers too in the Suq Al-Hoot area.

To the south of the city, at the university, scene of earlier intense fighting between the LNA and Ansar, more buildings were reported to be on fire today.

Elsewhere in Bengahzi, there is calm. Yesterday, to show that the situation was much improved, Khalifa Hafter went on a walkabout in Istiklal Street (formerly Gamal Abdul Nasser Street), Birkah and Zeitoun near Dubai Street, along with Geroushi and Mohamed Al-Hejazi, the spokesman for Operation Dignity. In an indication that views may be changing towards him, many locals came out and greeted him while women ululated, as at weddings.

“It shows that Bangahzi is now basically a safe city,” said Geroushi.  There was still clashes in some areas, he said, but “the war is finished”.

As for Benina airport, it would reopen for flights as soon, he said, but only when the entire city was “cleared of terrorists”, he added. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

UN condemns “in strongest terms” air strikes and military escalation

One dead in airstrike near Ras Jedir border crossing

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.