No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon holds talks in Malta with Thinni and Libyan delegation

byNewsdesk2
October 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon holds talks in Malta with Thinni and Libyan delegation

Ambassador Jones with Thinni in Malta (Photo: Deborah Jones' twitter page)

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 23 October 2014:

According to UN Special Representative of the Secretary General Bernardino Leon, speaking after meeting in . . .[restrict]Malta with Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni, the mood of the main players in Libya’s dialogue process in improving, but there is not much yet in the way of tangible results.

Talks were held in Malta on Tuesday evening between Leon and Thinni, along with a Libyan delegation of a deputy PM and four other cabinet members. Malta’s Prime Minister, Joseph Muscat, and Foreign Minister, George Vella, also attended the meetings.

At them, Leon updated Thinni on the progress of dialogue talks, including the meetings held in Ghadames on 29 September.

RELATED POSTS

Universal Air starts direct flights between Malta and Tripoli

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

According to Leon, all parties have expressed commitment to the dialogue process. The recent escalation in military actions, however, is not helping the process. The focus must remain on dialogue.

Leon said that the overall mood was changing. He saw more positive attitudes toward dialogue and reaching a peaceful solution.

Leon met the following morning with Vella and thanked the Foreign Minister for Malta’s “quiet, effective diplomacy”.

For his part, Vella said that many more meetings would likely be needed. Malta has indicated its willingness to host further meetings on behalf of the Libyan peace process.

In a joint press conference with Prime Minster Muscat ahead of the meetings, Thinni spoke about the strong bilateral relations, economic and otherwise, between the two nations and the future opportunities for collaboration.

While in Malta, Thinni also met with US Ambassador to Libya, Deborah Jones who is currently based in Malta. Few details have emerged about that meeting. The Times of Malta quoted Jones as saying the meeting had been a “valuable exchange of views”. Jones tweeted something similar about the meeting, along with a photo.

Ambassador Jones with Thinni in Malta (Photo:  Deborah Jones' twitter page)
Ambassador Jones with Thinni in Malta (Photo: Deborah Jones’ twitter page)

In response to a question asked by The Times of Malta at the Thinni-Muscat press conference, Thinni replied that his meeting with Jones was a “routine meeting, in which they discussed day-to-day matters.”

Furthermore, Thinni met in Malta with Turkish special envoy to Libya Emrullah Isler. Following the meeting Isler was to travel to Misrata.

Isler had also traveled to Tripoli and met with Omar Al-Hassi and his ministers, a move that was likely to anger the UN and other countries that refuse to recognize Hassi’s anti-government. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinniBernardino LeònLibyaMalta

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Thieves grab half million dinars from Sebha bank truck

No Tobruk flights but Mitiga looking promising, says Air Malta

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.