No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Derna Local Council says elections will not be held tomorrow

byCallum Paton
February 26, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Callum Paton.

Tripoli, 25 February 2014:

Derna Local Council has said elections will not be held in the town tomorrow as no . . .[restrict]efforts have been made by authorities to secure polling centres.

A source close to Derna Local Council, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Libya Herald that no security forces had been sent to secure the town in readiness for voting and, therefore, he could not envisage a scenario where elections could take place. No efforts had been made by the town’s education authority to prepare schools as polling stations for tomorrow’s elections either, he added.

The usual channels of communication between the Local Council, the Government and the High National Election Committee (HNEC) had remained closed, he said, and no-one had been in contact to ascertain the security situation on the ground.

RELATED POSTS

HNEC holds conference on Libyans’ reluctance to participate in elections

Tripoli based Libyan Prime Minister Aldabaiba launches Three-Track Political Initiative

The people of Derna were very disappointed with the situation because most had eagerly anticipated being part of the democratic process, he said.

“The government has failed in everything in Derna. We need to feel safe in our town and safe in our homes,” the source said. He added that authorities had “brought this situation upon themselves”.

Bomb attacks on six polling stations in Derna the night before last week’s elections to the Constitutional Committee meant that voting could not take place. HNEC rescheduled elections for tomorrow in Derna and other towns that were not able to vote because of security issues or blockades that prevented ballot papers getting to polling stations in time for last week’s voting.

The source said the security vacuum in which the bomb attacks had occurred had persisted in recent days, with attacks on the town’s port and university.

Two nights ago criminals attacked Derna port with grenades, he said, apparently because of a disagreement with the Omar Mokhtar Brigade which protected the facility. Another group attacked Derna University, opening fire on its unarmed security guards, in an attempted robbery. No one was injured in either attack. [/restrict]

Tags: Constitutional CommitteeDernaelectionsHNECLibya

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Supreme Court postpones hearing of appeal against Political Isolation Law

Zeidan requests only a six month budget for 2014

Zeidan requests only a six month budget for 2014

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.