No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Numerous successful cyber-attacks on government networks

byNihal Zaroug
September 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Numerous successful cyber-attacks on government networks

Under (Photo: Ministry of Communications and Informatics)

By Staff Writers.

CIM Undersecretary Mohamed Bilras Ali, address recent act of sabotage on underwater cable in Derna (Photo: Ministry of Communications and Informatics)

Tripoli, 4 September, 2013:

Government websites and Facebook pages have been subject to breaches said Mohamed Bilras Ali, the undersecretary . . .[restrict]of the Ministry of Communications and Informatics (CIM).

Bilras Ali told Ajwa Leblad News that hacks were numerous, making sites vulnerable. The undersecretary did not specify who was responsible for the intrusions and did not confirm if the attacks were acts of sabotage or for spying.

In a statement to Libya Herald, Deputy Director of the National Information Security & Safety Authority (NISSA), Esam Abulkhirat, indicated that in 2013, several sites with the Libyan “.ly” domain had been hacked and compromised, in what is known as “website defacement”. Deficiencies in web design and the lack of periodical security updates were the primary reasons for the successful attacks. The affected sites have been identified and problems fixed, stated Abulkhirat, adding that educational leaflets were distributed to site administrators, to help them avoid and manage such problems.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The National Information Security & Safety Authority is spearheading a drive for state institutions secure systems for the exchange of information. Under the patronage of the Ministry of Communication, NISSA organised Libya’s first conference on cyber security  at the Corinthia Hotel last week. The annual event aims to “promote and support the use of secure information technology resources and communications, as well as the prevention, detection and effective response to associated risks”.

Osama Siala, Minister of Communications and Informatics, speaking at Libya’s first Cyber Security conference. (Photo: Ministry of Communications)

In opening remarks, Minister of Communications, Osama Siala, said modern technology and the importance it played in various aspects of daily life, meant that cyber security was critical. Indeed, it was among the most important issues facing the country. Online users needed to trust the systems.

However, it is not only electronic sites that have been subject to attacks.

On 28 August, an act of physical sabotage destroyed the main entry point that houses the fibre optic cable in Derna. The destruction resulted in damage to the underwater cable and interrupted internet service to Tobruk, Sousse and Derna. Other areas were unaffected  said Bilras Ali, services continued thanks to an automated back up system.

In a statement appearing on the Ministry’s website, Bilras Ali apologized for the interruption and appealed to the public to help avoid a reoccurrence of such events, adding that work to fix the damages was ongoing, as well as investigations to identify the culprits.

 

With additional input from Nihal Zaroug. [/restrict]

Tags: Conferencecyber securityLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

High-level Libyan government delegation arrives in Guinea to regain ownership of illegally confiscated investment assets
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

August 29, 2025
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

August 28, 2025
Libya and Shell discuss several areas of cooperation
Business

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

August 28, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Business

Aldabaiba-British Ambassador discussions include resumption of British Airways Libya flights and creating attractive Libyan investment environment for foreign companies

August 28, 2025
‘‘Enhancing skills related to the green and blue economy to enhance employment opportunities’’ workshop held in Tripoli
Business

Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

August 27, 2025
The International Forum & Exhibition for Free Zones – Misrata: 28 to 29 June at Misrata Free Zone
Business

Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Breaking news: kidnapped Senussi daughter freed

Now water cuts on top of Tripoli’s electricity and fuel misery

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.