No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Decison to create National Guard reversed due to undue controversy – Zeidan

bySami Zaptia
July 16, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 16 July 2013:

At Sunday’s press conference, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said that the decision to reverse his government’s earlier . . .[restrict]decree to create a National Guard was as a result of the undue controversy that it attracted.

As reported by Libya Herald on July 11th, the Zeidan government had repealed its resolution 362 to set up a National Guard.

Government resolution 362 was only announced over a month ago and was intended to support the Libyan army to protect the country from any foreign aggressors. It was to have had a secondary role helping the police maintain internal stability and security.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli will be vacated of security and military services soon: Interior Minister Trabelsi

105 arrests in Tripoli from June to August as part of government’s ‘‘Law Enforcement’’ plan

Zeidan explained that many nations have a national guard, citing Tunisia, Italy and France as examples. He explained that the National Guard would usually be tasked with guarding strategic sites outside cities and urban centres.

He further explained that armies are usually confined to barracks training and preparing for the defence of a nation if needed. They would not be normally involved in the routine guarding of installations and sites.

The Prime Minister was also at pains to clarify that the idea of a Libyan National Guard had started prior to him taking office. He said that the National Guard was not to have any ideological, religious or philosophical leanings. Members of the National Guards would have enrolled individually and would not have been allowed to participate in politics.

Anyway, Zeidan said that too much was made of the formation of this body and he had, therefore, decided to withdraw the idea.

He added that the government was now busy with GNC Laws No (27) and (53) concerned with disbanding armed groups and forcing them out of Tripoli, and busy with the rebuilding of the army and the police. [/restrict]

Tags: armydecreeGNCNational GuardpoliceZeidan

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Foreign training of Libya’s army and police is necessary– Zeidan

Government finances open, transparent and available for inspection – Zeidan

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.