No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Security in Libya holding up archaeological breakthrough

bythomwestcott
February 14, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Security in Libya holding up archaeological breakthrough

The Libyan Sahara is home to thousands of examples or prehistoric rock art (Photo: Savino Di Lernia)

By Tom Westcott.

The Libyan Sahara is home to thousands of examples of rock art (Photo: Savino di Lernia)

 

Tripoli, 12 February 2013:

The unstable security situation in the country is holding up one of the potentially most exciting . . .[restrict]discoveries in Libya’s pre-history, as archaeologists are being prevented from returning to their work.

“We are on the verge of breaking new ground,” director of Canterbury Archaeological Trust Paul Bennett told the Libya Herald. “We have been using new dating techniques and specialist science at the Haua Fteah cave. If we can get to Libya over the next few months we may well discover that the cave is ‘the mother of early modern man’ and that Europeans are actually Libyan.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

However, the current security threats that have prompted European governments to issue warnings against all but essential travel to Libya, are having a knock-on affect on archaeological missions to the country.

“Most archaeological teams are university-based,” Bennett explained, “and the universities have to pay attention to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) warnings.”

Bennett and his team are desperate to get back to work at Haua Fteah, the largest cave in the Mediterranean, on the coast between Benghazi and Derna. The British FCO currently advises against all travel to this region, although Bennet is optimistic that after the second year anniversary of the revolution, the situation may improve.

“We’re hopeful that by mid-March we’ll be able to go back,” he told the Libya Herald, “and we may be writing a new chapter in the history of Libya.”

Another site where important archaeological work was suspended by the revolution is at Messak Settafet, one of the world’s richest areas of rock art. Situated in the south west of the country, deep in the Sahara, this is a further area to which the FCO advises against travel.

“We’re really keen to go back and resume field-work,” Savino di Lernia, from Sapienza University of Rome, told the Libya Herald, “But my university is worried. We need to get formal authorisation before we can go back to resume our work.”

Working on a ceremonial stone monument in Messak Settafet (Photo: Savino di Lernia)

Di Lernia has been working on prehistoric Saharan cultures in Libya since 1990. He was in charge of the three-year Messak Project for Cultural and Natural Preservation and Sustainable Tourism, which was interrupted by the revolution. He has not been allowed to return to the site since being evacuated from Messak in 2011.

With much of the rest of the Sahara inaccessible, according to Di Lernia, “there is no better place on earth than the Libyan desert to reconstruct the cultural and historical processes of prehistoric man in the Sahara.”

For the last two years, he has been analysing previous finds and satellite imagery, but says the real work needs to be done on the ground. “Field work is vital to research,” di Lernia said, “and it is the best way to raise local and international awareness of pre-history.”

There is also concern about whether the rock art at Messak has sustained any damage. “The people I know down there say that it is fine,” di Lernia said, “but so far there has been no independent official mission to the area.” Without getting the official go-ahead, the teams cannot return to their work, which included plans to set up an open air museum to help manage and protect the ancient carvings and paintings.

Despite the remote location, in over twenty years of working there, di Lernia said he never felt at risk in the south west of the country. “In fact I feel at home there,” he said, “I keep coming back to Libya as much for the people as the heritage.” [/restrict]

Tags: archaeologyHaua Fteah caveLibyaMessak Settafetrock art

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Minister of Oil meets with Libyan private sector – offers to give them more work.

Minister of Oil meets with Libyan private sector – offers to give them more work.

International flights normal except to Misrata, Sebha and Abraq

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.