No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Protesters stage unauthorised demonstration against law banning unauthorised demonstrations

byGeorge Grant
December 5, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

The protesters claimed the new law, as well as the new Ministry of . . .[restrict]Information, represented unacceptable restrictions on free speech. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 5 December:

Protesters gathered in Martyr’s Square in Tripoli this afternoon, Wednesday, to demonstrate against the new Ministry of Information and a recent law regulating the right to protest. Needless to say, the protesters had chosen to ignore the regulations.

Having been widely publicised on local radio stations and social networking sites, the gathering nevertheless failed to attract more than around 50 people. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder with their mouths symbolically taped closed, the protesters accused the government and Congress of attempting to restrict free speech in Libya.

“These decisions will force the people to talk just as the government wishes”, said Shtewi Salah, a cartoonist. “We want to let all the people know we will not be silenced.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Last month, the National Congress voted into existence a new Ministry of Information to regulate the Libyan media. Supporters argue it is necessary to bring some semblance of order to the wholly unregulated environment that exists at present, but opponents say the ministry could be used to muzzle criticism of the authorities.

There is also some controversy surrounding the manner in which the ministry came into being, with the entire process initiated and pushed through by Congress, with no formal input from the government. It is reported, however, that Prime Minister Ali Zeidan does support the idea of the new ministry.

The demonstrators’ grievance with the new law regulating public protests, meanwhile, was a provision empowering the authorities to impose a six-month jail sentence and LD 5,000 fine on protest organisers who fail to adhere to the law’s numerous provisions. The sentence can be doubled if the said persons are found in possession of a weapon.

Amongst other things, the law stipulates that the authorities must be notified of any planned protest at least 48 hours in advance, including the planned location, route and time.

Those at today’s protest appeared to be broadly under the impression that anyone could be fined or jailed for turning up at an unauthorised protest, and said it was a point of principle that the authorities had not been informed about this one.

“We don’t have permission for this process, so perhaps the government will come and put us in jail and take LD 5,000”, said Ali Abu Hussein, an engineer. “This new Ministry of Information is designed to shut our mouths, so all media will be under their control. They want to stop the truths and facts, to capture people and put them in jail.”

Not everyone who had gathered on Martyr’s Square opposed the new law and ministry, however. Abdul Ali, a senior employee at the Libyan Foreign Bank, said regulations were necessary in any free society:

“The people here want freedom, but with freedom there also has to be responsibility. Many in the media are not reporting news, they are just giving their views. I heard the Al-Jawhara radio station yesterday going crazy to convince people to go out on the street and do bad things. Right now the media is total uncontrolled; people are pouring petrol on the fire and it could lead to an explosion in the country.”

On the protests, Ali pointed to the numerous instances when demonstrations had got out of hand and insisted there had to be rules. “If I am a trade-union leader in London and I want to strike, I have to inform the government; it’s logical. People are going crazy breaking into the GNC and the prime minister’s office.”

Monitoring today’s gathering, as ever, were plainclothes officers from the Supreme Security Committee, who chose not to exercise their right to break-up this particular unauthorised demonstration. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

New Italian centre-left leader makes surprise visit to Tripoli.

Malta to open consulate in Misrata

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.