No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Former Libyan ambassador the “mastermind” behind Kufra violence claims website

byMichel Cousins
February 23, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Saleh Grain, the Qaddafi’s ambassador to Chad is the actual mastermind of the fighting in Kufra, in the extreme south of . . .[restrict]Libya, the Libyan website “Revolution of Libya” has claimed.

Quoting military sources at the National Transitional Council (NTC), the site said Grain, who was previously accused of stealing the funds of the Libyan people, had allied with Isa Abdul Majid, head of the local Tebu brigade, who was assigned by the NTC to deal with securing the border.  Majid has since been relieved from this position.

According to the sources, those who are now fighting in Kufra are Chadians carrying fake IDs stating that they are freedom fighters from Sebha and Murzuq. The sources said these fighters had no official papers or passports proving that they were Libyans.

In an interview on Tuesday with Associated Press, NTC leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil had said Qaddafi loyalists were deliberately “seeding sedition” in Kufra.

Earlier on Wednesday, the head of the military council in Kufra, Colonel Sulaiman, said that following the collapse of yet another ceasefire between Kufra’s dominant Zway tribe and the minority Tebu residents four more people had been killed on Wednesday.

RELATED POSTS

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Reuters news agency, quoting an unidentified tribal source, said three people were killed and 25 others injured on Tuesday in fighting between two rival tribes which has been continued for 10 days.

The fighting was taking place at a time the NTC has been trying to impose its control on the entire country. Skirmishes between militias and tribal groups over power and resources have not been uncommon in Libya since the downfall of Qaddafi.

A security source from the Zway said armed elements from his tribe had been attacked by fighters from the African Tebu tribe led by Isa Abdul Majid who was accused of attacking Kufra with mercenaries from Chad. For their part, the Tebu said they were the ones being attacked.

“Fighting has stopped now but the situation is very tense. Three people were killed today,” said Tebu resident in Kufra Abdul Bari Idriss on Wednesday.

Medical sources said, also on Wednesday, that 25 people had been injured that day in fighting. They said a group of Chadians had seized control of 30 houses and a separate housing complex which had to be evacuated by the residents who fled to nearby oases. These reports, however, could not be confirmed by independent sources.

Meanwhile Libyan chief of staff  Yousuf Al-Mangoush said last Monday that the armed forces would intervene if the fighting did not stop. He said though the two sides signed an agreement to end hostilities on Sunday, the fighting had erupted again more fiercely.

The chief of staff denied the presence any foreign forces in the region but said the two tribes had a history of conflicts between them. “There is now dire need for reconciliation,” he added.

He said the armed forces were in the region but they did not interfere in the fighting.

The Tabu exist mainly in Chad but they are also found in south Libya, Algeria and Niger.

 

 

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libya Champion McCain in Tripoli

Libya Champion McCain in Tripoli

Iraq offers to help Libyan democracy; insists Libyan prisoners "a matter for courts"

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.