No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

After recent reactivation, Fuel Crisis Committee dissolved

bySami Zaptia
January 9, 2019
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
After recent reactivation, Fuel Crisis Committee dissolved

Fuel Crisis Committee head Milad Hajrasi in a meeting to PC/GNA Interior Minister in 2018 (Photo: Fuel Crisis Committee).

By Sami Zaptia.

Anti-smuggling chief Milad Al-Hajrasi with Faiez Serraj (Photo: PC)
Anti-smuggling chief Milad Al-Hajrasi receiving support from Faiez Serraj in April 2017 (Photo: PC)

London, 9 January 2019:

The Faiez Serraj Presidency Council and Government of National dissolved the Fuel and Gas Crisis Committee on Sunday.

The decree (No. 10/2019) transfers all the committee’s competencies to the National Oil Corporation (NOC).

Ironically, the decision comes after the controversial committee seemed to receive a new lease of life after relaunching its activities.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

Harouge Oil Company brings well B-119 in Amal field online with production capacity of 1,100 barrels per day

It has been very active in its anti-smuggling efforts over the last few months of 2018 – with an equally high media profile led by its controversial head Milad al Hajrasi.

The committee and Hajrasi seemed to have come to an end in August last year when the Brega Marketing Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC), confirmed its dissolution and the sacking of al-Hajrasi.

Brega is the NOC entity in charge of fuel and gas distribution within Libya. In theory, the anti-Fuel smuggling committee was supposed to be under its authority.

Brega also announced that Hajrasi had been ‘‘referred for investigation’’. It said that both the committee and its head were fictitious.

Brega said that the committee was an illegal entity that it never created and that its head was appointed on 5 May 2015 by the illegal National Salvation Government put in place by the militia coup of 2014.

In view of this, Brega said that the very popular Fuel and Gas Crisis Committee’s Facebook Page was ‘‘a media front used as a cover for smugglers in order to mislead public opinion and to disseminate fake news and to misappropriate the anti-smuggling efforts of others or to claim a relationship with them’’.

It stressed last August that the Committee’s former head ‘‘no longer represents Brega Marketing Company in any form’’.

The extraordinary revelation by Brega had led to an out pouring of public dismay in Libya. Whatever the legal status of the Fuel and Gas Crisis Committee and its head Milad Al Hajrasi was, it had succeeded in creating a huge popular and populist following through its alleged anti-smuggling efforts.

Brega’s August statement raised doubts about the anti-smuggling claims of actions and activities that the Fuel and Gas Crisis Committee and its head Milad Al Hajrasi have been making.

The incident led to many conspiracy theories being thrown about and claims that the Fuel and Gas Crisis Committee and its head Milad Al Hajrasi were being removed by vested interests, maybe within Brega and the NOC, because of their success in curbing smuggling.

What is also difficult for the Libyan public to accept is that Hajrasi has been photographed with numerous Libyan officials and out in the field of action on the Tunisian border on many occasions.

He has been photographed in an official meeting with NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla and Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj.

Hajrasi has also held a number of press conferences with the media in Tripoli – without ever being challenged by the Tripoli authorities. The recurring question by many Libyans is: why now? Why had the NOC’s Brega Company waited so long to act?

To add to the conspiracy theories and yet another layer of confusion, the committee and Hajrasi seemed to make an official comeback on 4 December by dropping the previous NOC/Brega-based logo on their Facebook page and adopting the Presidency Council and Government of National Accord logo.

 

Fuel Crisis Committee head Milad Hajrasi in a meeting to PC/GNA Interior Minister in 2018 (Photo: Fuel Crisis Committee).
Fuel Crisis Committee head Milad Hajrasi in a meeting to PC/GNA Interior Minister in July 2018 (Photo: Fuel Crisis Committee).

 

This was followed by posts of photographs on 4 December of Hajrasi in a meeting with leading PC/GNA security heads.

However, the NOC/Brega has has never accepted Hajrasi’ s legitimacy and his high profile media campaign. They were disturbed by his independence and ability to successfully transcend tribal, regional and political barriers in working with militias to counter smuggling.

It is unclear why and how they were able to persuade Serraj to sack Hajrasi and what alternative plans they have for the state’s anti-smuggling efforts.

However, there is wide agreement across all Libyan divides – baring the criminal few – on the damage that the smuggling of fuel and other subsidised goods is causing the state.

It will therefore be seen what the Serraj administration and the NOC do in replacing Hajrasi and his committee.

 

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/08/15/fuel-and-gas-crisis-committee-dissolved-and-its-head-hajrasi-head-sacked/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/08/09/libyas-anti-smuggling-efforts-of-subsidised-goods-into-tunisia-causing-diplomatic-tensions/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/05/09/fuel-and-gas-crisis-committee-concludes-survey-of-southern-smuggling-sites/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/05/11/fuel-smugglers-sites-bombed-by-air-force-petrol-stations-shut-down-as-part-of-continuing-anti-fuel-smuggling-drive/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/04/27/pc-air-force-supports-nocs-anti-fuel-smuggling-initiative/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/10/01/noc-seeks-to-force-through-southern-fuel-shipments/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/04/07/military-operation-launched-to-target-fuel-smugglers-operating-at-sea/

 

 

 

 

Tags: Brega Fuel and Gas Crisis CommitteeBrega Marketing Companyfeaturedfuel smugglingGovernment of National SalvationMilad Al-HajrasiNOC National Oil Corporation

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Finance delaying constitution referendum

Finance delaying constitution referendum

Serraj determined to progress with "security arrangements"

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.