No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US deputy secretary of state reaffirms support for Presidency Council in Tunis talks with Serraj

byMichel Cousins
November 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
US deputy secretary of state reaffirms support for Presidency Council in Tunis talks with Serraj

Faiez Serraj with

By Hadi Fornaji.

Faiez Serraj with US Deputy Secretary for State John Sullivan  (Photo: US embassy)
Faiez Serraj with US Deputy Secretary for State John Sullivan (Photo: US embassy)

Tunis, 19 November 2017:

The United States’ full support for the Presidency Council (PC) and its government of national accord as well as for the action plan of UN special envoy Ghassan Salamé to solve the Libyan crisis was reaffirmed yesterday by the US Deputy Secretary for State John Sullivan during talks in Tunis between him and PC head Faiez Serraj.

“The United States continues to urge all Libyan parties to engage constructively with Special Representative Salamé’s mediation, including with his ongoing efforts to help them negotiate amendments to the Libyan Political Agreement,” a statement from the US embassy read.

It added: “The Libyan Political Agreement remains the only valid framework for a political resolution to the conflict throughout the country’s transitional period. Attempts to bypass the UN-facilitated political process or impose a military solution to the conflict will only destabilize Libya.”

RELATED POSTS

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Both Sullivan and Serraj agreed that all Libyan and international parties had to back Salamé’s plan so as to bring about reconciliation and ensure that new elections take place.

Both Serraj and Washington strongly back elections as soon as possible.

The two men also discussed the need to stabilise Sirte and other areas formerly under the control of the so-called Islamic State as well as the importance of restoring Libya’s economy and dealing with humanitarian needs in the country.

US airstrikes on IS positions in and around Sirte last year were a major factor in its liberation.

Occasional airstrikes by the US Africa Command (Africom) have since continued, most recently last September. On the 22nd, 17 IS militants were killed and three vehicles destroyed in strikes said simply to be at “a desert camp”. Four days later, Africom reported that several more IS fighters were killed in two further strikes.

On the economic front, the US has been coordinating efforts to end the Libyan economic crisis, with a series of economic dialogue meetings drawing together senior Libyan and international figure. The most recent was in Tunis earlier this month.

Yesterday’s meeting, attended by US ambassador Peter Bodde and Taher El-Sonni, Serraj’s political advisor, comes in the wake of the this week’s UN security Council meeting on Libya at which US deputy UN representative Michele Sison warned that Washington and the international community would work against those who destabilised Libya.

She also said that those who disrupted the UN-led political process had to be held accountable.

Tags: Fairez SerrajfeaturedJohn SullivanLibyaUSA

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Hundreds demonstrate in Paris against slavery in Libya

Hundreds demonstrate in Paris against slavery in Libya

Hafter wants police and other absent security officials to report back

Hafter wants police and other absent security officials to report back

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.