No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata Brigade threatens force if government does not act

byMichel Cousins
July 11, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Misrata, 10 July:

The Security Battalion of Misrata, headed by Juma Belhaj, issued a statement this afternoon stating it has a duty . . .[restrict]to protect the two Misrata TV journalists, Yusuf Baadi and Abdul Qader Fusuq, seized in Bani Walid last week.  The battalion said it was under the legitimate authority of  the government and state. It would not act without the government’s approval. However, this was then contradicted with the condition that if the government did not take action to secure the journalists’ release, the battalion would have to do so itself.

The two men, the statement read, were jounalists doing their job covering the elections, first in Mizdah, then Nismah and finally Bani Walid.

This is seen as a rebuttal of claims in Bani Walid that the two journalists were spies from Misrata sent to take pictures of the place in preparation for an attack.  Bani Walid military leaders have said that neither Baadi not Fusuq had permission to enter the town and should consequently be put in trial.

Referring to Bani Walid’s demand that 120 of its men held in Misrata be handed over in return for freeing the two, the statement said that an exchange was against the law and there could be no comparison between the case of two Libyans doing their legitimate work and that of prisoners of war.  It added that the latter were not in Misrata’s possession but in the hands of the Ministry of Justice.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

A heavily armed Misratan force said to be over a thousand-strong is camped at Bir Dufan, halfway between Misrata and Bani Walid.  It is reported that others from elsewhere in Libya have been joining it.

Earlier Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib called for Bani Walid to hand over the two by Thursday.  Fighting is expected if the deadline is not met.

Meanwhile, women in Misrata plan a demonstration tomorrow afternoon in support of the two journalists.  The protest is scheduled to take place outside the Martyrs’ Hall in the city’s main square at 5 p.m.. [/restrict]

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Trial of Qaddafi spy chief resumes – and is postponed – for third time

Trial of Qaddafi spy chief resumes - and is postponed - for third time

NTC change to selection of constitutional commission could be scrapped, says NFA secretary general

NTC change to selection of constitutional commission could be scrapped, says NFA secretary general

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.