No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

France’s highest court invalidates executive seizures submitted by the Kuwaiti Al-Kharafi Group against LIA

bySami Zaptia
September 7, 2022
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
English High Court appoints Receiver to manage LIA litigations against Goldman Sachs and Societe Generale

(Logo: LIA).

The French Court of Cassation, France’s highest court, today invalidated the executive seizures submitted by the Kuwaiti Al-Kharafi Group against the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA).

The LIA today welcomed the decision ‘‘acknowledging the impossibility for creditors of the Libyan state to make attachments on LIA assets, currently frozen by international regulations.’’

It added that the French court ‘‘rightly rejected the request of Al Kharafi group, a creditor of the Libyan state, to validate attachments made on LIA assets. These attachments had been performed in France by Al Kharafi in 2013 and 2016 to enforce an arbitral award worth over 1 billion USD rendered between the Libyan state and Al Kharafi, despite the LIA not being a party to the proceedings following the arbitral Tribunal’s dismissal of Al Kharafi’s request to joint it.’’

The LIA said that in its ruling, the French court had ‘‘stressed that, as per EU law, assets frozen under international regulations cannot be transferred and therefore cannot be seized.’’

The LIA welcomed the decision which it said ‘‘finally confirms the nullity of attachments that the LIA has relentlessly fought for years and contributes decisively to the efficiency of international regulations.’’

RELATED POSTS

High-level Libyan French economic meeting held on sidelines of 7th Ambition Africa Forum in Paris

Aldabaiba commends transparency and governance as Long Term Investment Portfolio’s E&Y audited accounts are presented

Jean-Sébastien Bazille, counsel to the LIA said “The Cour de cassation’s decision puts a stop to Al Kharafi’s long campaign of attachments on LIA assets. In line with the European Court of Justice, France’s highest court has strengthened the protection of frozen assets and the efficiency of international and European regulations.”

Ali Mahmoud, chairman and CEO of the LIA added that “Today’s decision is a major success for the Libyan Investment Authority, which has been continuously battling illegitimate and unjustified asset seizures by rogue creditors over many years. We will spare no effort to protect and develop the investments of the LIA”.

The news was also welcomed by the incumbent caretaker prime minister in Tripoli, Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba. ‘‘I congratulate the Libyan people on the issuance of the ruling of the Supreme Court in France nullifying and lifting the seizures signed on the funds of the Libyan Investment Authority by the Al-Kharafi Group, stressing the independence of the financial disclosure of the institution, and I thank everyone who contributed to this important achievement to protect Libyan funds abroad.’’

Tags: Court of CassationFrance FrenchKuwait's Al-Kharafi Construction GroupLIA chairman Ali MahmoudLIA Libyan Investment Authority

Related Posts

LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration
Business

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

November 28, 2025
Toyota Libya starts training 8 youth as part of its regular “Discover Your Talent” training programme
Business

Toyota Libya signs MoU with Ministry of Labour and Rehabilitation to strengthen cooperation in training and skills development

November 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

November 27, 2025
LBC leading delegation to Miami for America’s Food and Beverage Show – 18 to 20 September
Business

Libyan Business Council hosts Italian Consul and Commercial Attaché to discuss Italy’s Residency and Investment Programmes

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Sanalla warns NOC budget must not be politicized

Former NOC chairman Sanalla loses initial wrongful dismissal court case

‘Entrepreneurs of the Future’ training boot camp concluded last week in Benghazi

‘Entrepreneurs of the Future’ training boot camp concluded last week in Benghazi

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.