No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UK clarifies its position on Libyan elections and Libya’s caretaker government in the meanwhile

bySami Zaptia
December 27, 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
UK clarifies its position on Libyan elections and Libya’s caretaker government in the meanwhile

By Sami Zaptia.

London, 27 December 2021:

Following its 24 December statement and the House of Representatives’ reaction to it, the UK has clarified its position on Libya’s elections and its caretaker government in the meanwhile.

It will be recalled on 24 December the UK embassy in Tripoli said as part of a tweeted ‘‘As per the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum (LPDF) Roadmap and the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA), the UK continues to recognise the Government of National Unity as the authority tasked with leading Libya to elections and does not endorse the establishment of parallel governments or institutions.’’

RELATED POSTS

HoR Speaker Saleh cancels new import tax having previously claimed he had never agreed such a tax. Is Saleh’s position weakening? Report and analysis

At the first 2026 Cabinet meeting: Aldabaiba calls for unified state institutions, freezes development spending and calls for elections

The section of the statement that reads ‘‘the UK continues to recognise the Government of National Unity as the authority tasked with leading Libya to elections and does not endorse the establishment of parallel governments or institutions’’ irked many Libyans and was interpreted as support for Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba and his government and interference in Libya’s internal politics.

It was found particularly objectionable by various power stakeholders who have ambitions to assume the role of a (another) caretaker prime minister until elections actually take place.

The statement by the Tripoli UK embassy was also objected to by Libya’s parliament, the House of Representatives (HoR).

In a statement on 25 December, the HoR Foreign Affairs Committee said it deplored the unacceptable interference by Britain in Libya’s internal affairs. It stated that the choice of a new government or the continuation of the current one is a choice for the HoR and that all should respect the democratic rule.

As a result of the social and traditional media negative reaction to the UK statement, the UK was forced to issue a clarifying statement yesterday. In it, it said:

‘‘The UK is firm in its commitment to the ongoing political process in Libya and the holding of prompt parliamentary and presidential elections. We share the disappointment of the Libyan people that it was not possible to hold these elections on 24 of December, and call on all the relevant authorities to work on delivering these elections with minimal further delay, in order that the Libyan people can make their choice in fair and inclusive elections.

As stated with our P3 + 2 partners, the UK is clear that the transfer of power from the current interim executive authority to the new executive authority shall take place following the announcement of the results of such early and prompt parliamentary and presidential elections. And, importantly, to avoid conflicts of interests and to promote a level playing field, candidates holding roles in public institutions should continue vacating them until the announcement of the electoral results.

We support the Libyan House of Representatives in its calls for the cooperation of all parties in creating the right conditions for elections as soon as possible. The UK does not support any individual, but continues to commend the work of HNEC and other relevant institutions to deliver elections that reinforce the independence, sovereignty and unity of Libya.’’

Hence, as far as the UK is concerned ‘‘it is clear that the transfer of power from the current interim executive authority to the new executive authority shall take place following the announcement of the results of such early and prompt parliamentary and presidential elections.’’

Equally, the statement said ‘‘candidates holding roles in public institutions (which include prime minister Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba and HoR head Ageela Saleh) should continue vacating them until the announcement of the electoral results.’’

It is clear the British hold the view that neither PM Aldabaiba nor HoR head Saleh should resume their roles as long as they remain candidates in the planned elections.

Tags: britishelectionsfeaturedHoR House of RepresentativesUK

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Statement by the Governments of the United States of America, France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom

HoR unable to reach agreement on progress towards another election date

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.