No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Ministry of Economy does U-turn and reverses its price-setting decision

bySami Zaptia
November 20, 2021
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Minister of Economy and Trade Mohamed Hwej has had to conduct an embarrassing U-turn on his price-setting decision (Photo: Archives from 218 TV).

Tripoli, 20 November 2021:

The Minister of Economy and Trade, Mhamed Hwej, cancelled his previous decision regarding setting the prices of some commodities, including bread flour, sugar, rice and canned tomatoes.

The new decision (No. 652 of 2021) stipulates that the Internal Trade Department at the Ministry of Economy and Trade will prepare a weekly bulletin that includes monitoring and following up on the prices of imported goods in the local market.

The big embarrassing U-turn came after much criticism from business, including by the head of the Libyan Business Council (LBC) Abdalla Fellah speaking exclusively in this publication.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Ministry of Economy and Trade sign MoU with Health Ministry to regulate and track medical imports and regulate private laboratories

Fellah had accused the government of ‘‘hiding its miscomprehensions of international and local economics and hiding its inefficiency and ineffectiveness.’’

Short-term, knee-jerk, reactive policies

He said it was following short-term, knee-jerk policies and of being reactive rather than proactive in its policy stance. He had pointed out that even the Union of Consumers has already rejected the government’s policy moves as retrospective.

Going back to Qaddafi-era cooperatives won’t bring down prices

The LBC head noted how there have been populist calls in the media for the return of the Qaddafi-era subsidised food cooperatives. He said this is the ultimate proof that the average person in the street does not understand the causes of price rises. He pointed out that even if cooperatives were to reopen, prices will be high because they reflect international price rises.

They forgot to mention the dinar devaluation!

Fellah had said the government fails to point out that prices have shot up partly because the official Libyan dinar exchange rate has been adjusted about fourfold. The LD used to at around 1.4 per dollar, now its LD 4.45 per dollar. This has been inputted into all imported food prices. The high prices have nothing to do with profiteering businesses – its imported price rises, he had explained.

Its retrospective going back to Qaddafi-era practices – the future is the private sector!

The head of the LBC was saddened that there are those in government who still see the Qaddafi-era economics as a viable option. He said the future of Libya is the private sector through a free market and open competition.

Central state-controlled Qaddafi economics had failed for decades

He said central state-controlled economics had been practiced for decades by the previous regime and it had failed miserably. Libya should be looking forward and implementing radical policies -not going back to tried and failed policies.

 

Libya Herald exclusive: LBC head Fellah slams price controls and limited effect of food import duties exemption – calls for all Libya to be a duty free zone |

In an effort to bring prices down, Libya exempts food imports from all duties | (libyaherald.com)

 

 

Tags: featuredLBC Libyan Businessmen Council Abdalla FellahMinistry of Economy and Trade GNUprice controls

Related Posts

Zueitina Oil Co. successfully tests new B1-106/4 well with production rate exceeding 3,000 bpd
Business

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

May 22, 2026
Mellitah Oil and Gas launches its tree planting campaign at El-Feel oil field
Business

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

May 22, 2026
Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

May 22, 2026
Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports
Business

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

May 22, 2026
Tripoli Chamber invites investment proposals for its buildings
Business

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

May 21, 2026
Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91
Business

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

May 21, 2026
Next Post

LBC holds new round of talks with Italian embassy on easing trade and travel for business leaders

HNEC head Sayeh meets Attorney General as part of election candidates’ legal purge

HNEC head Sayeh meets Attorney General as part of election candidates’ legal purge

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.