No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

On the occasion of World Press Freedom Day: Government to grant annual journalism award and monitor media quality

bySami Zaptia
May 4, 2021
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(Photo: Notacrime.me/iran).

London, 4 May 2021:  

On the occasion of World Press Freedom Day yesterday, Libya’s prime minister Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba, issued his decision No. 63 granting an annual merit award to the press.

The decision included naming the award the State Appreciation Award for Journalism, to be awarded on the third of May of each year to one or more journalists. The decision also includes mandating the Minister of State for Communication and Political Affairs to form an arbitration committee to undertake the process of evaluation and comparison between the candidates for the award according to specific criteria to be set.

Speaking at a Tripoli ceremony celebrating the occasion, prime minister Aldabaiba, called on all journalists in all parts of Libya to join forces for the sake of Libya.

RELATED POSTS

UNDP Libya organises workshop for media officers from 17 municipalities in the East, South and West of Libya

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

He claimed that previous governments after the February 17 revolution were unable to organize and develop the sector and protect journalists.

Aldabaiba said his government is obligated to take reform measures to develop the official media and secure journalists.

He revealed that yesterday he issued a circular that is binding on all state officials to protect journalists and support their efforts and is ready to issue all necessary laws to protect freedom of the press.

The prime minister affirmed his government’s readiness to provide all facilities for drafting a code of ethics for the profession and forming strong and effective unions for journalists.

He said his government announces the Journalism Appreciation Award, as an expression of its interest in this important sector for democratic transition.

The government has directed the establishment of an independent, supreme national institution in charge of protecting freedom of the press and regulating the granting of permits to establish media projects, he added.

This national institution, he explained, will also follow up the published materials to ensure that hate speech or incitement against the stability of Libya does not spread or impede its democratic transformation, and to ensure the quality of content in the public media before the private media.

The reality of Libya’s press freedom

In reality and according to Reporters Without Borders, Libya has fallen to 165th out of 180 countries in the World Press Freedom Ranking for 2021. Previously, Libya was ranked 164th in 2020. It is ranked by Reporters Without Borders in the black zone as ‘‘very dangerous’’ for journalists.

Violence against journalists and the media in Libya is matched with complete impunity for the weak state, with state aligned security forces blamed for most cases of media harassment.

Equally, the Libyan legal system does not protect journalists and leans towards the interests of the state.

Tags: featuredmediapress media journalismWorld Press Freedom Day

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Tunisian ambassador visits Misrata Chamber to strengthen economic cooperation

Tunisian ambassador visits Misrata Chamber to strengthen economic cooperation

Indian engineers arrive at Sirte Gulf power station

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.