No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj government condemns reported Tarhuna mass murder by pro Hafter forces

bySami Zaptia
September 16, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(Logo: PC/GNA).

London, 16 September 2019:

The internationally recognized Libyan government based in Tripoli and led by Faiez Serraj yesterday condemned ‘‘in the strongest terms’’ reports of the alleged mass assassination conducted by pro Hafter forces against their opponents in Tarhuna.

It said that it condemns the ‘‘series of heinous crimes’’ against the people of Tarhuna by ‘‘criminal gangs’’ who are supporters of Khalifa Hafter’s Karama (dignity) movement. It reported that there had been ‘‘tens’’ murdered across Tarhuna on Sunday. It likened the act to ‘‘mass genocide’’ and said this could only be carried out by those ‘‘devoid of religious or humane principles’’.

It said that it will pursue the perpetrators and called on the international community and UNSMIL to establish the facts and take appropriate action. The alleged assassination of Kani opponents comes on the back of reports over the weekend that two of the Kani brothers were killed in the fighting over Tripoli. It is not clear if the alleged mass assassinations are connected to or are a reaction to their deaths.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

Tarhuna, 103 km and one and a quarter hour’s drive south east of Tripoli, is dominated by the Kani brigade militia that controls the city and supports Khalifa Hafter and his Libyan National Army (LNA).

The Kani brigade popularly referred to as the Kaniat in the plural, were commanded by the Kani brothers and were recognized by the Serraj government as the 7th Infantry brigade. They had taken part in inter-militia fighting in Tripoli in 2018 and 2019. The Serraj government has ceased to recognize them.

If Hafter loses the support of the Kani led militias in Tarhuna this could see Tarhuna either becoming neutral or joining the forces defending Tripoli, which would be a big loss for Hafter’s efforts to gain military control over Tripoli.

 

 

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2019/01/22/serraj-visits-tia-site-after-tarhuna-militias-pushed-back/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/09/02/tarhuna-militia-advances-slowed-down-as-fighting-continues-in-tripolis-militia-war/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/08/27/un-calls-for-ceasefire-and-calm-as-militia-clashes-in-south-tripoli-lead-to-numerous-deaths-and-injuries/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/08/28/temporary-overnight-ceasefire-agreed-in-south-tripoli-militia-fighting/

Tags: Faiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National ArmyTarhuna 7th Infantry Kani Kaniat brigade

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Italy to start implementing stalled coastal motorway as part of colonial era compensation

Italy to start implementing stalled coastal motorway as part of colonial era compensation

Harouge storage capacity increased at Ras Lanuf Port

Harouge storage capacity increased at Ras Lanuf Port

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.