No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ghat flooding causes deaths and more than 1,000 displaced

bySami Zaptia
June 5, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ghat flooding causes deaths and more than 1,000 displaced

Torrential rains on Monday and Tuesday have led to the Ghat Municipality being declared a disaster zone (Photo: Ghat Municipality).

By Sami Zaptia.

Torrential rains on Monday and Tuesday have led to the Ghat Municipality being declared a disaster zone (Photo: Ghat Municipality).

London, 5 June 2019:

Torrential floods over the last two days in most of the Ghat Municipality have led to at least two deaths and the displacement of 1,000 people, the UN Libya Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has confirmed.

OCHA says that Ghat, which lies some 1,300 km south west of Tripoli on the Algerian border, is in need of urgent humanitarian aid, including food, non-food items and temporary shelter.

The Municipality says that most telecommunications, electricity and local media have been cut and food stocks destroyed as the it appeals for local and international help.

RELATED POSTS

Derna: One month on, humanitarian response, early recovery and reconstruction continue – OCHA

Ghat-Ubari road project site officially handed over to Egyptian consortium

It is estimated that 70 percent of the municipality with a population of 30,000 has been flooded with the fear of a greater health disaster as sewage water has mixed with the area’s drinking water.

As the heavy rains have continued to fall and aid has been slow to arrive, the municipality is fearful that the disaster could worsen.

For their part, the Tripoli Faiez Serraj government yesterday declared the area a disaster zone and allocated LD 10 million to deal with the effects of the flooding.

The internationally unrecognized eastern-based Interim Government, on the otherhand, announced yesterday that it is sending trucks carrying emergency relief items expected to arrive today.

The convoy will contain foodstuffs (basic food commodities), medical supplies and fuel, with other deliveries expected to follow.

Tags: disaster zonefeaturedfloodingGhatOCHA Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairstorrential rain

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Pakistani Ahmadis still languish in Tripoli jail – security source

New development well adds production capacity: NOC

New development well adds production capacity: NOC

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.