No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Indiscriminate shelling, civilian casualties, attacks on ambulances, electricity cuts and stranded civilians as a result of Tripoli fighting

bySami Zaptia
April 12, 2019
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Indiscriminate shelling, civilian casualties, attacks on ambulances, electricity cuts and stranded civilians as a result of Tripoli fighting


By Sami Zaptia.

London, 12 April 2019:

Protection concerns for civilians remain paramount with reports of indiscriminate shelling on densely populated areas in Ain Zara and Swani in the southern outskirts of Tripoli yesterday, the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in its latest report released yesterday.

As the fluid fighting continues with shifting frontlines in a cat-and-mouse fashion, frontlines in the main have remained constant as neither side has been able to make any deep incursions. The report confirms fighting in the Tripoli Airport, Qaser Ben Ghashir, Swani, Ain Zara and Wadi Rabea areas.  

The OCHA report revealed that the Health Sector has verified reports of seven civilian fatalities and ten civilian injuries since the onset of fighting in and around Tripoli. This number includes the deaths of three medical staff and the injury of one health worker.

RELATED POSTS

Derna: One month on, humanitarian response, early recovery and reconstruction continue – OCHA

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Additionally, five attacks on ambulances have been verified, including reports of two ambulances belonging to field hospitals which were hit by the shrapnel. Furthermore, the electricity supply to some fourteen areas south of Tripoli, including Al Furjan and Wadi Al-Rabea, has been affected after some poles and electricity lines were damaged in the fighting.

The security of civilians stuck in conflict-affected areas, particularly in the outskirts of Tripoli, remains precarious. Local teams responsible for the evacuation of civilians continue to receive requests for the relocation of families to comparatively safer areas. At the time of writing this report, some 761 requests for the relocation of around 3,800 individuals had been received by evacuation teams.

the report says that to date, its teams were only able to respond to some 111 requests, 43 of whom were evacuations from Swani which saw a dramatic upsurge in violence on 11 April.

Evacuation teams continue to report access restrictions due to armed conflict, and indiscriminate or even direct targeting of the first response teams. On 11 April, one ambulance in Ain Zara came under gunfire on its way to evacuate an injured person, and the planned evacuation subsequently had to be aborted. 

The Humanitarian Coordinator has reminded all parties to the conflict that under international humanitarian law, medical facilities, medical personnel and medical transport must be respected and protected at all times, and that attacks targeting them are prohibited.

The United Nations further reiterates its call for a temporary humanitarian truce to allow for the provision of emergency services and the voluntary passage of civilians, including those wounded, from areas of conflict.

Since the onset of armed conflict, the report says, at least 9,500 individuals were forced to leave their homes. This includes the displacement movement of some 3,500 additional individuals in the last 24 hours. While displacement numbers had been significantly but steadily increasing over the past couple of days at a rate of 33 per cent, today’s displacement numbers represent a 60 per cent increase in comparison to the previous day.

Key IDP reception areas include Tripoli, Tajoura and Ain Zara, accounting for just under half of the IDP influx, while smaller numbers of IDPs have also displaced to Al Zahra, Al Maya, Zintan, Tajoura, Swani, Al Khums, Garabolli, Bani Waleed, and other areas.

Families who displaced to areas that are now gradually moving in the vicinity of frontlines are at risk of onward displacement, and on 11 April, some 167 individuals already had to evacuate the Al-Asma school in Ain Zara, and were relocated to another school that is currently serving as a collective shelter in a comparatively safer area.  

Many migrants and refugees in detention centres in and around Tripoli are also at particular risk to become affected by armed conflict. Through the provision of transportation, IOM and UNHCR provided an opportunity for refugees and migrants in the Qasir Ben Ghashir detention centre to relocate to the Zintan detention centre, which is located in a safer area.

The report says that UN staff were not present given ongoing clashes in the area. Despite counselling on safety considerations, the 728 individuals, of whom 320 persons of concern are registered with UNHCR, currently residing in the detention centre opted to remain in the facility. Previously, on 9 April, UNHCR successfully relocated more than 150 refugees from the Ain Zara detention centre in southern Tripoli to UNHCR’s Gathering and Departure Facility.

Tags: civiliansfeaturedOCHA Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian AffairsTripoli fightingUNOCHA

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Thousands demonstrate in Tripoli and Misrata against war, Hafter and Hafter’s foreign allies

Thousands demonstrate in Tripoli and Misrata against war, Hafter and Hafter’s foreign allies

Tripoli fighting continues on outskirts as Serraj forces claim successes in repulsing Hafter forces

Tripoli fighting continues on outskirts as Serraj forces claim successes in repulsing Hafter forces

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.