No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The referendum, HNEC, frozen assets and the National Conference make up Faiez Serraj’s press conference

bySami Zaptia
December 11, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The personal spokesperson for Faiez Serraj, Mohamed El-Sallak, (Photo: Archives from PC).
The personal spokesperson for Faiez Serraj, Mohamed El-Sallak, (Photo: Archives from PC).

London, 11 December 2018:

Reviewing the recent overseas visits by Faiez Serraj, the head of the Pesidency Council and Government of National Accord, his personal spokesperson, Mohamed El Sallak, said that the visits came “in the context of communicating with brotherly and friendly countries, strengthening bilateral relations and developing cooperation at all political, economic and security levels”.

Sallak was speaking during yesterday’s weekly press conference held at the Media Centre of the Prime Minister’s Office and was referring to Serraj’s vsits last week to Jordan, Kuwait and Belgium.

Sallak reported that talks during Serraj’s visit also covered settling some outstanding issues in Jordan, in addition to settling Libya’s medical debts oin Jordanian clinics. With regards to Serraj’s visit to Kuwait, discussions included reconstruction with the Kuwait Development Fund.

RELATED POSTS

Eastern Libya signs MoU to construct its section of the Egypt – Libya – Chad Transit Road Project

Jordanian Civil Aviation delegation inspects Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to resuming direct flights

Regarding his visit to Belgium, Sallak said Serraj held a meeting with the High Representative of the European Union’s Security and Foreign Affairs Policy, Federica Mogherini, where the Libyan political process, how it could be pushed forward and support for the plan of the UN envoy to Libya, were discussed.

On Serraj’s meeting with the Secretary-General of NATO, Jens Stoltenberg, capacity-building of Libya’s security and military agencies, the training of Libyan elements and the completion of the unification of Libya’s military, were discussed.

Serraj also met the US secretary of State Mike Pompeo, where he discussed the dossier on the fight against terrorism and ways to make progress in the Libyan political process and overcome the “obstructionists” and the completion of security arrangements to create the right atmosphere for holding parliamentary and presidential elections.

With regards to the electoral and constitutional process, Sallak confirmed Serraj’s support for the High National Electoral Commission (HNEC) for the completion of election and constitutional entitlements, and instructed the security and military authorities concerned to develop a comprehensive security plan to secure polling stations and conduct the electoral process.

Serraj’s comments regarding HNEC and election security come on the back of HNEC’S call last week for financial support and the provision of security as prerequisites for holding the referendum on Libya’s draft permanent constitution.

HNEC had announced last week that it was commencing preparations for holding the referendum – subject to conditions being met by January.

Sallak reiterated Serraj’s emphasis on the need for a constitutional referendum law consistent with the Skhirat Libyan Political Agreement Agreement (LPA) and legal regulations that do not make the referendum law vulnerable to legal appeals which would hinder the progress of this important constitutional entitlement.

Serraj also renewed his support for the all-inclusive National Conference forum to be held under the auspices of the United Nations early next year as an important event that will contribute to the achievement of presidential and parliamentary elections, which were supposed to take place (under the May Paris agreement) on 10 December.

However, Sallak said that the lack of commitment of one of the political parties concerned to its previous undertakings has prevented elections taking place.

Sallak was referring to the House of Representatives (HoR), which the Serraj government views as the obstructionist of Libya’s political process. UNSMIL head Ghassan Salame also referred to the HoR in a similar vein during his latest briefing to the UN Security Council.

The HoR, it will be recalled, only finally handed over the Referendum Law on Libya’s draft permanent constitution at the end of November, months later than had been agreed at the Paris May conference.

Moreover, many analysts believe that the Referendum Law is inherently flawed and will be challenged at the courts.

Critics of the HoR believe that the flaws were intentionally embedded by the HoR in the Referendum Law so that it fails to lead to a referendum, a permanent constitution and elections. They believe the HoR wants to maintain the status quo and want to keep Libya in its transitional state.

The HoR, for their part, consider Serraj, his Presidency Council, UNSMIL and international community as the obstructionist for failing to implement all the Skhirat LPA.

In their view, the Serraj government is under the influence of Islamists and militias in Tripoli and has failed to disband militias and create a unified regular army – as prescribed by the LPA.

With regards to Libyan investments and assets abroad, Sallak confirmed that Serraj was following-up on the matter closely in coordination with the Libyan Investment Authority and Libyan Audit Bureau , as well as closely following the progress of legal cases brought by the Libyan side in this regard.

Serraj’s comments on Libya’s frozen assets abroad come on the back of allegations that interest and profits from these some of these frozen assets held in Belgium have been paid out into other LIA accounts outside Belgium.

There have been calls by the HoR and Libyans in general for more transparency as to how these revenues are being used.

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/12/06/hnec-commences-permanent-constitution-referendum-process/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/29/hor-hands-constitution-referendum-law-to-hnec/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/27/serraj-refers-lia-accounts-to-audit-bureau-and-international-audit-firm/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/12/lia-aware-of-interest-being-moved-out-of-belgium-but-assures-assets-still-frozen/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/09/salame-slams-hor-and-hsc-as-sterile-and-time-wasting/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/09/117901/

 

Tags: BelgiumdebtsEU High RepresentativeFaiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedFederica Mogherini High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security PolicyJordanKuwaitmedical treatmentNATO Secretary General Jens StoltenbergreconstructionUS secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Related Posts

Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Next Post

NOC declares force majeure at Sharara oilfield due to militia occupation at daily cost of US$ 32.5 million

UNSMIL condemns violence in south Libya while recognizing legitimate grievances

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.