No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

I do not recognize Hafter as Supreme Commander and won’t shake his hand: HSC head Mishri

bySami Zaptia
May 31, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
I do not recognize Hafter as Supreme Commander and won’t shake his hand: HSC head Mishri

Khaled Mishri has been re-elected as head of the HSC for the fifth term (Photo: HSC).

By Sami Zaptia.

Head of the HSC, Khaled Mishri, said he does not recognize Hafter who is starving the people of Derna with his siege of the city (Photo: HSC).
Head of the HSC, Khaled Mishri, said he does not recognize Hafter who is starving the people of Derna with his siege of the city (Photo: HSC).

London, 31 May 2018:

The head of Libya’s High State Council (HSC), Khaled Mishri, said that he does not recognize Khalifa Haftar as the Commander-in-Chief of the Libyan Army. Rather, he only recognizes Faiez Serraj as the Commander-in-Chief of the Libyan army and his appointed Chief-of-Staff of the Libyan Army as General Abdel Rahman al-Taweel.

Mishri was speaking to French television station France 24 after the Paris conference on Libya on Tuesday.

Hafter had been appointed as Commander-in-Chief of the Libyan National Army (LNA) by the internationally recognized House of Representatives before the December 2015 Libyan Political Agreement.

RELATED POSTS

Takala wins contested High State Council presidency elections

High Court rejects Mishri’s appeal against Takala’s victory as HSC head – both still claim leadership of the body

Mishri said that he had informed France at the time of receiving his invitation to the Paris conference that he would sit on the same table with Hafter in recognition of the reality and fait accompli on the ground, but that he did not recognize Hafter as a legitimate force.

With regards to extending his hand out to Hafter, Mishri questioned how he could shake Hafter’s hand while 130,000 Libyans in Derna were under fire from Hafter’s LNA forces and were unable find anything to eat – and Hafter has been the one strangling them for two years ago.

Mishri said that he had stipulated that a cease-fire should be imposed in Darna and safe corridors be opened (for humanitarian aid and people to move safely) as a positive messages to be sent before the Paris meeting.

He said that the Paris meeting was an important milestone in solving the Libyan problem, but it was not a decisive meeting in ending the crisis.

He added that many topics had been postponed, such as the immediate termination of parallel institutions and the in the refraining from dealing with them.

Mishri said that ‘‘red lines’’ had been passed and that he must transcend others for the sake of the nation, and that what is now presented as a fight against terrorism (by Hafter) is but a liquidation (by Hafter) of his political opponents.

Mishri said that the city of Derna had fought terrorism and had expelled the defeated ISIL which went on to gather in Sirte. Not all those who carry arms in Derna are terrorists, and I am against terrorism in all its forms and types.

In Benghazi, there was terrorism and terrorists, but many leaders of the revolution were with Hafter who gave them medals for bravery and heroism, and then he categorized them as terrorists and then he fought them.

On his political leanings, Mishri admitted that he was a member of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood which he said he had never denied. However, he said that he did not represent the Muslim Brotherhood now, and that he had nothing to do with their work. He said that he now represents the High State Council in all its shades.

Referring to the impasse in the political process and the failure of the House of Representatives (HoR) to pass the election law for the planned December 2018 elections, Mishri said that the Constitutional Drafting Authority (CDA) is an elected body by the Libyan people, and the House of Representatives (HoR) only has to issue the referendum law for the Libyan people to vote on the draft constitution by acceptance or rejection.

He added that no one may confiscate the will of the Libyan people or prevent them from voting on the draft constitution produced by an elected body.

Mishri said that he had proposed to the French, who had agreed, to include representatives of the Bunyan Al-Marsus forces (the mainly Misratan forces that had conducted the fighting on the ground in Sirte against ISIL) to the Paris meeting, but time ran out and they could not attend.

With regards to former Qaddafi supporters, Mishri said that they were part of the Libyan people, and any Libyan citizen is entitled to stand for any position unless they are wanted by the law.

On the Libyan judiciary, Mishri said that it is an independent judiciary with a supreme authority, and it is one of the few institutions in Libya where there has been no political division.

Mishri said he was against any outside interference in Libya and from any state.

Tags: Bunyan Marsous Solid StructureBunyan MarsusDernafeaturedKhaled Mishri head of HSCParis conference May 2018

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Serraj reassures of his committment to Paris outcomes within red lines and democratic process

UN concerned by increasing humanitarian crisis in Derna and calls on all parties to respect human rights and conventions

UN concerned by increasing humanitarian crisis in Derna and calls on all parties to respect human rights and conventions

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.