No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

CBL deflects blame for impending goods shortage and price rises, says will take urgent steps to resolve crisis

bySami Zaptia
April 23, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
CBL deflects blame for impending goods shortage and price rises, says will take urgent steps to resolve crisis

By Sami Zaptia.

 (Logo: Tripoli CBL).
(Logo: Tripoli CBL).

London, 23 April 2018:

The Tripoli-based Central Bank of Libya (CBL) has deflected blame for any possible shortages of essential goods, especially basic food items, and price rises that may occur during the month of Ramadan which begins in mid-May.

In a pre-emptive move to avoid criticism during the oncoming fasting month, the CBL accused unnamed ‘‘individuals and entities’’ of trying to increase Libya’s crisis and of attempting to ruin the CBL’s reputation.

In a statement released last week, which continues a series of tit-for-tat accusations of blame between the CBL, the Audit Bureau and the Presidency Council, the CBL noted that there was no justification for the ‘frightening’’ price rises of essential goods with the approach of Ramadan.

RELATED POSTS

With Ramadan looming, PM Aldabaiba follows up on goods availability and prices

CBL Governor urges executive authorities to take measures to close unlicensed foreign exchange bureaux, prohibit imports outside the banking system

It stated that it had warned the Faiez Serraj-led Presidency Council since December 2017 about the dangers of shortages and price hikes which it repeated up until its last letter to Serraj in a 5 April letter.

The CBL revealed that it had approved from 1/1/2018 until 17/4/2018 a total of 2,722 Letters of Credit (LCs) for imports to the value of US$ 2 billion. It also revealed that another 1,187 LCs totalling US$ 1 billion were in being processed.

The Central Bank noted that the Presidency Council had issued decree no. 363 (2018) to import essential goods through Cash-Against-Documents (CAD) facilities in order to resolve the impending crisis. The CBL had agreed to this policy move.

However, the CBL noted that the Tripoli-based Audit Bureau, the state spending oversight body, had issued a decree freezing the Presidency Council’s CAD decree (number 363). This, the CBL stated, was a move that in its view was outside the legal powers of the Audit Bureau. Either way, the CBL says that the Audit Bureau move has caused confusion and has in practice halted the Presidency Council’s CAD decree.

The CBL concluded by saying that there were individuals and entities within the state who wish to increase the crisis in Libya. It stated that they were taking advantage of the needs of citizens in order to achieve personal gains and by putting pressure on the CBL and by muddying its reputation before public opinion.

As a result, the CBL warned that it will take whatever urgent steps are necessary with the Presidency Council in order to solve the crisis and to reduce the burden on citizens.

It will be recalled that last month, the Tripoli-based Audit Bureau requested that the Faiez Serraj Presidency Council to freeze its decision to approve US$ 1.5 bn Cash-Against-Document (CAD) import facilities. It had asked for more time to look into the details of how these approvals were reached and into what it referred to corrupt-looking procedures.

It will also be recalled that the late decision to approve hard currency in the form of Letters of Credit (LCs) or CADs was also criticized last year and the year before.

In April last year, the head of the Tripoli-based Libyan Businessmen Council, Abdalla Fellah, (the only Libyan business council recognized under existing Libyan law), had condemned the Central Bank of Libya for hurriedly opening documentary letters of credit for a number of Libyan companies – in order to import ample supplies of foodstuffs in time for Ramadan.

The feeling is that the process of opening documentary LCs for imports is being delayed every year by design in order to benefit some specific companies able to import foodstuffs at short notice.

The CBL in its above statement is keen to absolve itself from shortages and price rises that might be blamed on it, pointing the finger at the Presidency Council and the Audit Bureau. The Audit Bureau feels that it is its duty to oversee state spending and highlight any possible corruption. And the executive, the Presidency Council, blames the other two bodies for their slow process.

It is unclear who the real culprit is – probably a combination of all three bodies – but ultimately some Libyan import companies are benefiting from having LCs opened at the official exchange rate of LD 1.4 to the dollar (as opposed to LD 6 to the dollar) while the Libyan consumer suffers the burden of shortages and high prices.

 

209-CBL deflects blame for goods shortages and price rises-220418

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/03/29/audit-bureau-calls-on-pc-to-freeze-its-decision-to-approve-1-5-bn-worth-of-imports-by-cad/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/05/02/economic-crisis-meeting-makes-wide-ranging-recommendations-but-cbl-was-absent-from-meeting/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/05/02/economic-crisis-meeting-makes-wide-ranging-recommendations-but-cbl-was-absent-from-meeting/

 

Tags: audit bureauFaiez Serraj.Presidency CouncilfeaturedpricesshortagesTripoli CBL Central bank of Libya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Libya’s grain production could increase 6-fold and supply half of local consumption in 2019

NOC says it is yet to approve Total purchase of Marathon's share in Waha concession

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.