No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Only 40 hospital beds to treat 400,000 in Zuwara

bySami Zaptia
February 12, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Only 40 hospital beds to treat 400,000 in Zuwara

Zuwara's unfinished hospital (Photo: Archives)

By Jamie Prentis,

Zuwara's unfinished hospital (Photo: Archives)
Zuwara’s unfinished hospital has been closed for 25 years (Photo: Archives).

Zuwara, 12 February 2018:

 Zuwara’s health facilities are under immense pressure with only 40 hospital beds able to support a population of some 400,000 people, officials have warned.

Exacerbating the problem was illnesses caused by pollution from nearby industrial areas, including the Italian owned Mellitah Oil and Gas Complex, the man tasked with the regions health sector told the Libya Herald.

Bassim Dahn, one of the municipalities six councillors, said Zuwara’s main hospital, holding over 400 beds, has been closed for 25 years. A Turkish company called Orhan, tasked with bringing the hospital back to life, suspended operations in 2014 over security fears, with 80% of its work done.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Italy discuss establishment of the Libyan Italian Vocational Training Centre in Zuwara

Four Zuwara Coast Guard officials detained for illegal immigration activity

Due to this, the nearby ‘Seaport Hospital,’ with only 40 beds, was treating the nearby population, which Dahn said was around 400,000 people.

“The Qaddafi-era ruined the large hospital of Zuwara and we are under constant pressure to reopen it. Every government since 2011 has visited us, as have ambassadors from the EU, UN and Europe. They all say they will help us with the problem but nothing has happened,” he said.

Roughly LD30 million is required to finish the refurbishment of the hospital and another LD 70 million to buy the necessary equipment – it is completely empty.

The Ministry of Planning’s representative in Zuwara, Fawzi Effitis, said discussions had been held with the Turkish company over their return, but they needed to be paid first. “This money should really be coming from the Central Bank of Libya or the government,” he said.

“The hospital has been my number one priority since coming into office. This problem has been given no attention by all of the governments since 2011,” Zuwara’s mayor Hafez Ben Sassi said.

The sole functioning, smaller hospital is not without serious financial issues either. “Every week” doctors and administrators ask the municipality for more money, when this should come from the Ministry of Health in Tripoli.

“With the current functioning hospital there are two main issues. Firstly we do not get enough medicine, equipment etc from the government. They should also be helping us with funding the refurbishment of the main, central hospital too,” Dahn explained.

Secondly, was the claim the hospital served 400,000 people from the region, including sometimes Sabratha, Zawia and areas to the south. With Zuwara the last major population centre on the road to Tunisia, Dahn said overexcited drivers crashed on the highway many days of the week. Typically their injuries were serious and life-threatening too.

“Ultimately, we are under such great pressure and have to send people to Tunis and Tripoli. Patients often die on the way. We need more help and are on our own. The (Presidency Council’s) government gives us 10-15% of the finances needed for health and my department are the ‘lucky’ ones – electricity, infrastructure gets nothing,” he added.

Dahn also lamented the effects of nearby factories and the damage their toxic waste had caused. The Melittah Oil and Gas complex owned by the Italian state energy company ENI was blamed for its lack of transparency.

“I am not sure what exact pollution is caused by Melittah, but the administration there has not told us what chemicals the complex gives off. Zuwara municipality has unusually high levels of cancer and miscarriages. We do know lots of hydrogen sulphate comes from Melittah and this has certainly played a huge part,” he said.

Neighbouring Sabratha has also suffered similar ill-effects.

“In some parts of Libya if they are unhappy with oil installations, force is used to send a message. However, in our culture we do not do this and prefer to use peaceful, legal ways to sort out problems,” Ben Sassi said.

When the Italian ambassador recently visited Zuwara, the issue was raised with him but officials said they were dubious if anything would come from this.

The disused, Qaddafi-era Abu Kammesh plant was also held liable. Closed since 2009, among other things it produced large amounts of PVC, salt and industrial chemicals. Nearby residents are understood to have particularly high readings of mercury in the blood and nearby soil is heavily polluted. It has also given off mega methanol, a downstream petrochemical.

Dahn, accompanied by the economy minister, has held talks in Milan with a Bulgarian company who offered to take over Abu Kammash and thoroughly clean it. It will produce similar products as before but Dahn insisted there would be much tighter protocols to prevent further pollution.

“Ultimately we need professional, independent advice on what to do next,” he said.

Tags: featuredhealthZuwara

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

NOC commends Attorney General’s issue of arrest warrants for 144 suspected fuel smugglers

Tripoli government leaves Zuwara Security Directorate to fend for itself

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.