No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

In historic meeting, mayors agree to work together for Libya

byMichel Cousins
December 9, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
In historic meeting, mayors agree to work together for Libya

Salame mayors 2

By Libya Herald reporter.

asd
Mayors meeting in Hammamet (Photo: HD)

Tunis, 9 December 2017:

In what is being seen as an historic event, almost all Libya’s mayors taken part for the first in a forum on the numerous challenges they face and declared that they will work together to end the crisis in the country.

Mayors and representatives from almost all the existing 94 municipal and six remaining local councils took part in the three-day forum ending yesterday, held in the Tunisian resort of Hammamet and organised by the Geneva-based Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (HD). With over 90 mayors attending, there has been no such gathering before. It included not only elected mayors but also those in the east of the country who had been appointed by Major-General Abdul Razzaq to replace those who had been elected.

“It shows that we can sit down and work together,” said one western region mayor.

RELATED POSTS

Public Prosecutor orders pretrial detention of 16 officials complicit in Derna dams disaster

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

“Historic” was the description of UN special envoy Ghassan Salamé, who addressed the event, saying that the UN had duty to support and work with local government.

Preparations to convince all the mayors and other officials of the importance of such a gathering had taken over six months, an HD official said, and had had to be discreet.

“That is why they succeeded,” he explained.

The various authorities in the east and the west had given their blessing to the meeting with a single proviso, he added, that there be no attacks at the event against officials, ministers, leaders or anyone else. That condition had been scrupulously adhered to during the forum, he said.

The mayors concentrated on the problems of delivering local services and running their municipalities, as well as people’s declining living conditions and the need to ensure that the tens of thousands of displaced people can return home. They also noted that their legitimacy was accepted throughout the country and that as “one voice emanating from the depths of Libya”, they would do their utmost to help the country out of its mess.

“We are determined to exert our full national role in bringing Libya out of the situation of division and disintegration and in pushing for the earliest possible solution to alleviate the suffering of the Libyans”, a statement from them read.

“We look forward to overcoming the transitional stages and incomplete legislations by hastening the organisation of parliamentary elections,” they added.

They also insisted that decentralisation had to be the basis for the administration and distribution of basic public services, calling for the implementation of the 2012 local government law in its entirety, but also amending it in order to enhance the role of local government. This was a reference to the fact that many local services, such as refuse collection and street cleaning, currently are not under the municipalities’ control.

They furthermore said that they should be part of any international initiatives aimed finding a solution to the crisis.

Salame mayors 2
Salamé addresses Libya mayors (Photo: UNSMIL)

 

The lack of money was one of the main areas of discussion and consensus. Funding for 2017 and 2018 had to be a “top priority” for the central authorities, they insisted. Moreover, in future, the transfer of their budgets had to be on fixed dates. They had to be no delays, they declared. Additionally, the central authorities had to provide the municipalities and local councils with additional financial resources in cases of emergency. As for the amounts, they had to be based on various criteria, such as population, size of area, distance from basic facilities and degree of inequality in economic development and infrastructure.

Regarding any taxes that required to be collected locally, the mayors said that should be allowed to take off any amounts due to the municipalities before remitting them to the central authorities.

They also want municipalities to have a greater role in local security and in combatting crime in their areas. Currently policing is the exclusive affair of the interior ministry.

One other demand was that in order to ensure that there was continuity of service locally and no vacuum between current local administrations and new ones at the time of the next round of municipal elections, these should take place ahead of end of the present councils’ term of office.

Because of divisions among councillors, some councils were left in limbo, without an elected mayor and administration, for months after the municipal council election.

The mayors also said that they wanted their next meeting to be “on Libyan soil”.

Responding to the meeting, Salamé said Libya needed a strong central government and strong local government. “These two things a complementary, not contradictory” he noted. “Today we have a weak central government and lack the requirements that allow municipalities to function.”

Tags: Centre for Humanitarian DialoguefeaturedGhassan SalaméLibyamayor

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Wintershall’s BASF and DEA-LetterOne sign Letter of Intent to merge their oil and gas businesses

Wintershall's BASF and DEA-LetterOne sign Letter of Intent to merge their oil and gas businesses

ACA reminds of regulation prohibiting Libyan dual nationals from holding top positions

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.