No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan affair gets murkier as Serraj denies attorney general ordered arrest

byMichel Cousins
August 26, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said that he has only asked the GNC to approve a six month budget (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
Former prime minister Ali Zeidan (Photo: Sami Zaptia)

Tripoli/Cairo, 22 August 2017:

Abducted former prime minister Ali Zeidan was not arrested on the order of the attorney general, Presidency Council (PC) head Faiez Serraj has reportedly told a southern delegation that went to Tripoli to demand answers about the kidnapping.

Headed by former deputy local government minister Ali Saeed Nasr, who is from Brak Al-Shatti, the delegation met Serraj in Tripoli yesterday. Nasr subsequently said on social media that Serraj told them that not only had there been no arrest warrant but that he knew who the kidnappers were and was in contact with them. Serraj had added that he was deeply perturbed about the abduction and was working to secure Zeidan’s release.

It was reported when the abduction from Tripoli’s Victoria hotel took place nine days ago, that Zeidan had been arrested on the orders of the attorney general, allegedly by forces under the command of Haithem Tajouri.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A close member of the Zeidan’s family who asked not to be identified today confirmed to the Libya Herald that there was no arrest warrant from the attorney general.

He added that there had still been no contact with Zeidan. There had, however, been contact with Serraj who had promised to organise that the family could speak to the former prime minister. So far, the member noted, nothing had happened.

“We are now seriously concerned about his health,” he said. “He has health issues and is on medication, but we don’t know if he is taking it.”

He also repeated the allegations that Serraj had initially refused to meet the southern delegation on Sunday and only relented after his refusal was widely publicised. However, Nasr has said that Serraj told him that he had been unaware of the delegation but that as soon as he was told about it, he organised the meeting on Monday.

Zeidan’s family member has said that this in not true and insisted that Serraj was contacted directly about the delegation’s visit to Tripoli beforehand.

He also said that Zeidan went to the Victoria hotel off Shara Omar Mukhtar at Serraj’s insistance. He had been planning to stay at another hotel but Serraj had told him that there was better security at the Victoria and that the PC would pay for his accommodation.

In a separate move on Sunday, Jufra municipality described those who had taken Zeidan as outlaws and criminals. It demanded the authorities ensure his release and that of the two people with him.

Zeidan is from Hun which is within the municipality and, before becoming prime minister, was elected as Jufra’s member of the General National Congress.

It is claimed that he is currently being held at the Winzrik hotel on Shara Al-Shatt. It is said to be controlled by Haithem Tajouri.

Tags: Ali ZeidanfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Benina strike ends after Hafter intervention

Benina strike ends after Hafter intervention

Ousted Eastern mayors want their towns back

Ousted Eastern mayors want their towns back

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.