No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

War crimes suspect Mahmoud Warfali arrested on Hafter’s orders

byNigel Ash
August 18, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

A man resembling Warfali just before he murdered three men this March (Screen grab)
A man resembling Warfali just before he murdered three men this March (Screen grab)

Tunis, 17 August 2017:

Khalifa Hafter ordered the arrest 15 days ago of Saiqa Special Forces major Mahmoud Warfali wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for war crimes, the Libyan National Army (LNA) said today. The armed forces commander-in-chief also instructed the LNA’s advocate-general to begin his own investigation

The ICC alleges that Warfali featured in videos in which 33 bound captives were murdered in cold blood. It has demanded the LNA officer be handed over for trial in The Hague where the court sits.

In an open statement to the ICC today the LNA said that Hafter had ordered an investigation on 2 August and Warfali had been under arrest since then.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

There may be some significance to the LNA’s claim that Warfali was detained almost three weeks ago, well before the ICC issued its warrant.  However, the LNA had in fact said last month, before Hafter issued his order, that Warfali was already under investigation.

After the first execution video emerged this March, the LNA said it would prosecute soldiers who murdered or abused prisoners.

In May after further execution videos surfaced in which Warfali again appeared to feature prominently, he made a very public resignation. Two weeks later however, Saiqa commander Wanis Boukhamada refused to allow him to quit and promoted him from captain to major.

Last month, when the UN Human Rights Commission demanded Warfali be suspended while the crimes recorded on the videos were investigated, the LNA retorted that the UN body should not prejudge the “unverified” footage.

Under its statutes, the ICC can only prosecute those suspected of war crimes or crimes against humanity if the local courts have failed, for whatever reason, to take action themselves.  The LNA would seem prepared to argue that it is under the authority of the internationally-recognised parliament, the House of Representatives (HoR) and is therefore competent to try Warfali. However the international community also recognises the Presidency Council (PC) in Tripoli, which would currently appear to have no chance of taking the Saiqa officer in to custody.

Tags: featuredICCKhalifa HafterLibyaLibyan National ArmyMahmoud WarfaliSaiqa Special Forces

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Syrian cargo plane is Benina's first foreign flight after reopening

Sirte mayor discusses town’s needs with British ambassador

Sirte mayor discusses town’s needs with British ambassador

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.