No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Southern fighting imperils all that has been achieved, says Serraj

byNigel Ash
April 16, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

 Faiez Serraj wants the international community to intervene (File photo).
Faiez Serraj wants the international community to intervene (File photo)

Tripoli, 15 April 2017:

Presidency Council (PC) head Faiez Serraj has warned the international community of political failure unless it intervenes to stop the fighting in the south of the country.

In a letter to the UN, EU, Arab League, Africa Union and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, he said the deteriorating situation in the south “threatens everything that has been achieved on the path of national reconciliation and stability in Libya”.

Serraj said he was writing in response to the sudden and unjustified escalation in fighting. He made clear he was referring to the LNA air attacks on the Tamenhint airbase but he also mentioned an “heavy artillery” attack.  These, he warned put the country on the brink of a civil war which should be avoided at all costs.

RELATED POSTS

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

Libya will not bear burdens of illegal immigration alone or be settlement area: Interior Minister Trabelsi

The PC was calling for the avoidance of provocative acts. “Escalation has nothing to do with the fight against terrorism.  It would only lead to a further deterioration of the situation in Libya.”

He also wrote that “the long-distance bombardment of civilians is in fact a pounding for the political agreement and for national reconciliation and it threatens Libya’s future.”

He said he hoped that the international community would intervene quickly to stop the wrecking of security and stability, which would jeopardise the political process and lead to a civil war the outcome of which could not be known.

“From the beginning I promised myself not to be the cause of war between Libyans. I will not be a party to that. But the war that I will not hesitate to fight is the war against terrorism”.

Serraj did not spell out in what way the international community might be able to intervene.

Tags: Arab LeagueAUEUfeaturedLibyaLNAOICSerrajTamenhintUN

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Algerian nurse kidnapped in Misrata, family fears by IS

Tripoli faces renewed power cuts as Wafa gas line blocked yet again

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.