No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

15 dead in local fighting says bullish Tarhouna council

byMichel Cousins
April 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

19 April 2017:

Fighting in Tarhouna on Monday is now said to have resulted in some 15 people, almost all from one family, being killed according to the local municipal council.

The dead, mostly from the Basbusa family, are said to have included three children and a 70-year-old wheelchair-bound man.

Reports claim that those responsible were the local Kani brigade, a outwardly Islamist, family-controlled militia which now dominates the formerly pro-Qaddafi town.

RELATED POSTS

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

It is said that members of the Basbusa family attacked the town’s joint operations rooms after one of its members had been arrested. A number of the attackers are believed to have been killed in the assault but it also resulted in one of the defenders –a member of the Kani brigade – being injured. The brigade then allegedly attacked others of the Basbusa family.

For its part, though, the municipal council has denounced reporting of the issue, claiming that the press plus social media in Bani Walid and the Wirshefana area were deliberately stirring up what it insisted had simply been a local incident. It accused them of interfering in an “internal affair”, claiming that the local authorities were perfectly able to deal with it. The town was otherwise perfectly safe, it alleged. In gesture of defiance, it closed the road from Tarhouna to Bani Walid.

Local elders too have tried to gloss over the killings claiming the town is stable.

Far from calming the situation, the stance has resulted in angry rejection of it on social media and elsewhere.

In a statement today condemning the killings, UN special envoy Martin Kobler demanded a prompt and full investigation into what happened, and those responsible brought to justice. Witnesses and relatives of the victims also had to be protected, he said.

“It is time to ensure accountability for such shocking crimes. I call on the Government to provide the necessary support to prosecutorial authorities to investigate this and other such cases in Libya,” he insisted.

The Kani brigade has been accused of responsibility for a number of other outrages.

They were accused of involvement in the slaughter of the Habshi family in March 2015. In August the same year, following protests in part of the town at the death sentences passed on Saif Al-Islam and Abdullah Senussi, the brigade shelled the area when it was blocked from entering it and arresting the protestors. Five months later, three people were reported to have been killed in clashes between the Kani and local opponents. The brigade allegedly responded by blowing up the opponents’ homes.

Almost a year ago, the family of a murdered local colonel, Abdullah Sweissi, accused the brigade of responsibility for his killing.

Most recently, in January, the Kani were accused of carrying out the Garabulli massacre in which at least eight civilians died.

 

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Algeria’s Messahel in talks with Saleh and Hafter

Algeria's Messahel in talks with Saleh and Hafter

Misratan representatives visit Moscow; next stop Grozny

Misratan representatives visit Moscow; next stop Grozny

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.