No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US Congress wants Trump administration to pay greater attention to Libya

byMichel Cousins
March 13, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tunis, 13 March 2017:

American lawmakers plan to put Libya on the Trump administration’s “radar screen” after comments by a senior general that Russia was vying for influence in the country with the United States.

The head of the US Africa Command (“Africom”), Marine General Thomas Waldhauser, told the Senate’s foreign affairs committee last Thursday that “Russia is trying to exert influence on the ultimate decision of who becomes, and what entity becomes, in charge of the government inside Libya”.

The general said Moscow had been involved in talks with key parties, inviting Khalifa Haftar, head of the Libyan National Army, aboard an aircraft carrier, and holding talks with the head of the UN-recognised Presidency Council Faiez Serraj.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tripoli Chamber discussing leading delegation to WOC show in Las Vegas, USA in January

He told chairman Senator John McCain: “General Haftar (sic) has visited, as you said, on the carrier with the Russians. He’s also visited in the country of Russia. Also, this week it’s reported in the open press, Serraj from the Government of National Accord has also visited Russia.”

Senator Lindsey Graham asked the general whether Trump’s new Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, should be involved:

“Would you say Secretary Tillerson is important in this regard?”

“Very important.”

“We need to put that on his radar screen?”

“Yes, we do.”

However, Waldhauser gave no policy specifics in his presentation, although he echoed recent comments by British and Italian ministers that Haftar must be incorporated in government. “We’ve got to get the entities, specifically Haftar, and the Government of National Accord, together to make an accommodation.”

Waldhauser, who authorised air strikes in ISIS in Libya in January, killing more than 80 militants, also told the Senate that the terrorist group remains on the ground.

“The status of ISIS in Libya is they are right now regrouping. They’re in small numbers, small groups.”

The hearing came a month after state-owned Russian oil firm Rosneft agreed an outline deal with Libya’s National Oil Corporation. US officials claim Russia may be taking sides as it is in Syria with groups opposed to those supported by America.

Tillerson, appointed by Trump in January, has yet to comment in detail on Libya policy and whether this will follow that of the former Obama administration, a key backer of the GNA.

In press releases, the US State Department has so far maintained the same line as the Obama administration, and last week joined the UK and France in a joint statement condemning fighting around the central oil ports and pledging support for the GNA.

However, one of the first foreign leaders Trump telephoned after assuming the presidency in January was Egyptian president Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, hitherto a close ally of Haftar, who is opposed to the GNA.

In Libya, many politicians and political analysts think the Trump administration, entangled in domestic politics, has yet to consider the Libyan crisis, leaving diplomats continuing to follow the policy of the Obama administration pending new orders. Others think the US has simply lost interest in Libya, noting that Obama’s special envoy Jonathan Winer has not been replaced.

Touring America, Libya’s former United Arab Emirates ambassador, Aref Nayad, a supporter of the Libya National Army, told the Heritage Foundation in Washington DC that the pro-GNA policy was still there “because of new administration hasn’t had a chance to revamp all of the policies and change the various embassy staff”.

Tags: LibyaUS

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Abdulrahman Sewehli thanks Qatari emir for his support

PC looks to Turkey for healthcare support

PC looks to Turkey for healthcare support

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.