No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sanalla continues efforts to step up foreign oil company involvement in Libya

byMichel Cousins
February 10, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamie Prentis.

Tunis, 10 February 2017:

As part of NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla’s efforts to expand oil exploration and production in Libya, he has held a further series of discussion this week in Tunis with foreign oil companies.

There have again been talks with Spanish oil company Repsol, as well as with Indonesian company Medco and Germany’s Wintershall, all of which are active in Libya.

Repsol is a partner with NOC in Akakus Oil which restarted production in the massive Sharara field in the south east’s Murzuk Basin in December when the oil valves on the pipeline to Zawia were reopened. Production is growing: it is currently at 170,000 barrels a day according to a Repsol source. Prior to the shutdown two years ago, it was 350,000 b/d.

RELATED POSTS

Justice may be delayed, but it is not absent‎: Former NOC chairman Sanalla on yesterday’s oil closures prison sentences

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Production was increasing but getting back to that figure would take some time, the source said. “It could be months,” he stated.

The Spanish company also has exploration rights over a further two block in the area.

Last year, when speaking about resuming production, Repsol said it would do so as soon as security considerations permitted. In this week’s meeting that view was again expressed. “We’d like to start [exploration] as soon as possible,” the source said, but it was all a question of security. That state of affairs had been put to Sanalla in the Tunis meeting, he added.

Medco, which has a number of exploration concessions in the Ghadames Basin in Area 47 is also looking to resume operations, but again security is an issue. Prior to the revolution it had said it intended to invest $1.7 billion between 2010-2014 in several major projects across Libya. In the event, that did not happen.

Operating in eight onshore fields in the eastern Sirte basin, Germany’s largest crude oil and natural gas producer, Wintershall, used to produce up to 100,000 b/d before the 2011 revolution, with its largest field, As-Sarah, near Jalu.

Since the outbreak of the country’s low-level civil war in mid-2014, production at the field has been an on-off affair. It stopped in mid-2014, resumed in September the same year, ceased again three months later, then restarted in February 2015 until May, and again between September and November 2015. The reopening of the Zueitina terminal last September allowed for production to resume. It is now running at around 35,000 b/d.

It has been a busy year so far for Sanalla after he told a London conference in January that new oil exploration projects would in future be open to foreign investment following a five-year moratorium.

While in London he also saw representatives from BP, as well as from DEA, Austria’s OMV, US oil giants Amerada Hess and ConocoPhillips (‎two of the three American partners in Waha Oil), Repsol and the Polish Oil and Gas Company.

In the move to commit such foreign companies to invest and expand operations in Libya, he has since had a subsequent meeting with OMV in Tripoli. It recently announced it had increased its stake in the Nafoura oil field near Jalu.

Tags: LibyaMustafa Sanalla

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Zintan mayor in Brussels

Zintan mayor in Brussels

LNA helicopter crashes in operation against BDB

LNA helicopter crashes in operation against BDB

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.