No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

CBL to allow every Libyan citizen the right to buy US$ 400 at official exchange rate

bySami Zaptia
February 1, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The CBL will offer US$ 400 at the official exchange rate to every Libyan citizen(Photo: Sami Zaptia).
The CBL will offer US$ 400 per annum at the official exchange rate to every Libyan citizen (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

London, 1 February 2017:

The Tripoli-based Central Bank of Libya (CBL) has announced that it will allow every Libyan citizen the right to purchase US$ 400 every year at the official exchange rate of LD 1.4 per dollar. This will be effective from today. On the black market the dollar had been selling at around LD 6.0. It dropped to around LD 5.70 at the time of writing as a result of this CBL announcement.

The announcement by the CBL seems to have come in reaction to a raft of monetary and economic reform proposals made by the head of the Audit Bureau last week which the CBL rejected.

The CBL made no further comment on those wider proposals, which included subsidy reform and levies on imports to solve the budget deficit and the bank cash crisis.

RELATED POSTS

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Either way, working with an inflated Libyan population figure of 7.2 million to allow for inefficiencies and fraud, the CBL decision will cost the Libyan state annually around US$ 2.8 bn, whereas the Audit Bureau proposal calculated on US$ 2,000 per 1.2 million family would have cost the state around US$ 2.4 bn per annum.

The CBL said that its decision came as part of its role in assuring fairness in the right of every citizen in obtaining foreign exchange. The hard currency will be sold through commercial banks at the applicable exchange rate of the day.

The maximum annual limit of US$ 400 per year per citizen is subject to an increase if there is an improvement in public revenues, the CBL added. It can be paid for by the head of the family by transferring from a bank account, as opposed to having to pay in cash. This mitigates the need for the public to have to come up with cash during the country’s current cash-shortage.

The CBL said that it will allow for flexibility in the use of this amount, adding that citizens can use the amount towards their debit cards abroad or for the direct transfer abroad or to withdraw as cask. The CBL also said that citizens would not lose their annual allowance if they do not use it within the year and are able to carry it forward.

It is no doubt hoped that the announcement, if not its implementation, would cause the black market exchange rate to fall and ease pressure on the cost of most products, travel and education and health treatment abroad.

It also confirmed that it will continue to permit the existing annual right to transfer US$ 7,500 abroad against an official invoice authenticated by a Libyan embassy for education and health purposes.

The CBL informed the public that it had reached this decision after ‘‘detailed’’ studies and assured the public that it had adequate foreign exchange reserves to cover the expected demand. It assured that the national economy was doing well and that the opportunities of monetary stability and economic prosperity will overcome the difficulties of recession and risks of crisis. It also assured that illegal speculation could not last with the increased awareness of citizens of their rights and obligations.

Tags: CBL Central Bank of Libyafeaturedforeignn exchange rate

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Tawergha situation discussed by Thinni and community leaders

Tawergha situation discussed by Thinni and community leaders

Tajoura bank drama ends with two customers shot dead

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.