No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Migrant deaths in Mediterranean hit new record in November, over 4600 dead in 2016

bySami Zaptia
November 18, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Migrant deaths in Mediterranean hit new record in November, over 4600 dead in 2016

Migrants from the Mediterranean on board the MSF's search and rescue ship the Argos yesterday (Photo: MSF).

By Sami Zaptia.

Migrants from the Mediterranean on board the MSF's search and rescue ship the Argos yesterday (Photo: MSF).
Migrants from the Mediterranean on board the MSF’s search and rescue ship the Argos yesterday (Photo: MSF).

London, 18 November 2016:

The death toll of migrants crossing the Mediterranean Sea, mostly from the Libyan coast, hit a new record for the month of November, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) says in its latest report.

The report says that 546 migrants are reported to be dead so far in the month of November, compared to 141 in 2015 and 22 in 2014 for the whole of November.

Approximately 365 people were reported to have lost their lives in the Mediterranean this week alone in three separate shipwrecks that had set off from the Libyan coast. The figure has been rising steadily over the last few days as rescued migrants disembark in Italy and report how many had set off on their craft. This reported number is compared to the number rescued to arrive at those considered missing at sea.

RELATED POSTS

IOM reports 928,839 migrants identified across Libya in 2025

Three million illegal immigrants in Libya, 75 % of whom are families, constitute ”settlement” which Libyans reject – illegally transfer US$ 7 billion annually: Interior Minister Trabelsi

These latest mortality reports make 2016 the deadliest year on record for migrants or refugees attempting the perilous crossing. The latest IOM figures say that over 4,600 migrants died in 2016 with 343,589 arriving by sea to Europe.

The top eight nationalities reported by the IOM arriving in Europe in 2016 are from: Nigeria, Eritrea, Sudan, Gambia, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Somalia and Mali.

The Malta-based NGO the Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS), one of the most active search and rescue NGOs operating off the Libyan coast, says that while the number of people crossing the Mediterranean as a whole has decreased compared to previous years, the number of people attempting the Central Mediterranean rout – from Libya to Italy – has remained largely unchanged.

MOAS also reported that there has been a change in the approach of smuggling networks from the more manageable trickles in past years to departures being organized in large waves in 2016. This could be an attempt to maximize revenue and meet high demand for crossings.

The NGO also says that the whole people smuggling operations in Libya have been ‘’industrialized’’ due to increased competition in procuring rubber boats, engines and fuel containers which has led to the increased use of unseaworthy rubber boats.

‘‘The combination of heavier loads and inferior quality is a recipe for disaster’’, said MOAS Head of Operations Ian Ruggier. As a result, MOAS feels that it is almost certain that the true death toll of those attempting to cross from the Libyan coast is much higher than the recorded figures with many boats sinking without ever being reported.

Tags: featuredIOM International Organization for Migration LibyaMediterranean SeamigrantsMOAS Migrant Offshore Aid Stationsearch and rescue

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
CBL flies in fresh cash from UK

CBL flies in fresh cash from UK

At least 23 soldiers die as army advances into Ganfouda

At least 23 soldiers die as army advances into Ganfouda

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.