No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kuwait’s Kharafi abandon attempts to seize Libyan plane in France

bySami Zaptia
September 10, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The Airbus 340 at Orly Airport two years ago (with acknowledgement to Michel Carron http://michel-charron.pagesperso-orange.fr)
Qaddafi’s former plane, the Libyan Airbus 340 at Orly Airport two years ago, disputed over by the Kuwaiti Kharafi group (with acknowledgement to Michel Carron http://michel-charron.pagesperso-orange.fr).

London, 10 September 2016:

The Kuwaiti Al-Kharafi Construction Group has abandoned its attempts to seize a Libyan aircraft located in France, reports AFP.

The Kharafi group had been attempting to take ownership of the luxurious Libyan plane, previously used by Qaddafi, for payment of a settlement ordered by a court for the Libyan cancellation of a tourism contract in 2010. The plane had been flown to the French city of Perpignan for maintenance in 2012.

The Kharafi group’s decision to abandon the case followed an August 25 decision by a court in Perpignan, reports AFP.

RELATED POSTS

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

Work on the five-star Al-Andalus Hotel continuing

“We have preferred to focus on the seizure of other Libyan assets, which will be more feasible,” Al-Kharafi’s French lawyer, Remi Barousse, told AFP.

It will be recalled that in December last year a French court had lifted the freeze put on Qaddafi’s former plane after the Kuwaiti construction group Al-Kharafi attempted to sell it to recover a billion dollars it was awarded by a Cairo arbitration court.

“It is very satisfying to see the judge has recognised the fact this plane, which belongs to the Libyan state, has immunity from being seized,” Carole Sportes, lawyer for the Libyan side had told AFP.

The Al-Kharafi Group was attempting to seize Qaddafi’s A340 Airbus which he bought from Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal for €120 million in 2003.

Damaged during the revolution, it was sent to France for repairs and has been there ever since awaiting payment of its repair bill estimated in the millions.

French lawyers acting for Libya had claimed sovereign immunity in the case.

An arbitration panel in Cairo had ordered Libya in March 2013 to pay nearly a billion dollars to the Kuwaiti company for the loss of 90 years’ potential income from a cancelled Tripoli tourism project.

The Kharafi Group had been given the damages in arbitration proceedings organised by the Arab League as part of the Unified Agreement for the Investment of Arab Capital in Arab States.

Since 1992, the Arab Convention on Commercial Arbitration has worked under the aegis of the League.

The Kuwaiti group, owned by one of the richest merchant families in the Gulf, has a $4-billion annual turnover. It had agreed in 2006 to develop a $130-million Holiday Inn-branded resort in the Tajoura area of Tripoli, to be completed in 2011.

Besides a 252-room hotel, it would have included 100 villas, a shopping mall, a convention centre, spa and 1.4 km of beach with a club and water sport facilities. When Kharafi established its subsidiary Sovereign Hospitality Holdings in 2008, the project was transferred to it.

Until the uprising, when the deal was apparently cancelled, the Kuwaitis said that they had invested in feasibility studies, design and management contracts. These have been estimated at around US$ 5 million. However, the major part of their claim was for the loss of projected profit which they put at LD 1.2 billion, plus interest.

 

Arbitration award against Libya to Kuwaiti Kharafi Group
1 US$ 30 million Compensation for ‘‘moral damages’’
2 US$ 5 million Representing the value of losses and expenses.
3 US$ 900 million Compensation for lost profits resulting from real and certain lost opportunities.
4 US$ 1.94 million Arbitration costs and expenses.
5 4% interest rate Shall apply to all amounts awarded from date of issuance of decision until full settlement
Total: 936, 940 million

 

It is thought that this may be the first such ruling on loss of future income by the Arab Convention on Commercial Arbitration, which was in part designed to protect Arab investors in other Arab League countries.

Tags: aircraft planeEgyptian courtfeaturedFrench courtKuwait's Al-Kharafi Construction GroupQaddafitourism

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

State workers given extra day for Eid break

Schools out for longer

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.