No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

173 Guinean migrants repatriated from Libya

bySami Zaptia
July 15, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
173 Guinean migrants repatriated from Libya

Guinean migrants queue to board the charter flight at Tripoli’s Mitiga airport (Photo: IOM 2016)

By Sami Zaptia.

Guinean migrants queue to board the charter flight at Tripoli’s Mitiga airport (Photo: IOM 2016)
Guinean migrants queue to board the charter flight at Tripoli’s Mitiga airport (Photo: IOM 2016)

London, 15 July 2016:

The UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM) reported that yesterday it had organized a voluntary repatriation charter flight from Libya to Guinea for 173 stranded Guinean migrants.

The operation, in close cooperation with Guinea’s Embassy in Libya and the Libyan Department for Combating Illegal Migration (DCIM), was the latest in a series of voluntary return flights for migrants from Libya to West Africa. It was funded by the Swiss Secretariat for Migration and the European Union, the IOM said.

The migrants, many of whom had spent months in the Abu Sleem detention centre near Tripoli, flew back to Conakry from Tripoli’s Mitiga International Airport. Before leaving the centre, IOM staff gave them clean clothes, shoes and hygiene kits. Several migrants told the IOM that they had endured harsh conditions in the centre, with little food and water, the IOM reported.

RELATED POSTS

Three million illegal immigrants in Libya, 75 % of whom are families, constitute ”settlement” which Libyans reject – illegally transfer US$ 7 billion annually: Interior Minister Trabelsi

IOM identifies 894,890 migrants in Libya from 45 nationalities in May-July 2025 reporting period – 18 percent up on 2024

Frank, aged 28, who has scoliosis (severe curvature of the spine) told the IOM that after four long agonizing months in Libya, all he wanted was to return home. “I had USD 400 with me when I arrived and a few pictures of my mother and other family members back home. When I was caught by the police, I was taken to prison. I never received my belongings back. I don’t care so long as I get to leave and return home to my family,” the IOM quoted him as saying.

Fatima, a mother of two – a four-year-old boy and a two-year-old girl – told IOM that she has been stranded in Libya unable to leave since the death of her husband, who had been working in Tripoli. Even though she was not one of the Abu Saleem detainees, she found it difficult to survive with no work and no income to support her children. “I never want to return to Libya again,” she told the IOM.

Ibrahim, 18, had wanted to go to Italy and find work there. After being arrested in the city of Zawia, 40km west of Tripoli, he was detained for 8 weeks until the IOM facilitated his release, along with 38 other detained migrants, a day prior to their departure to Guinea.

On arrival in Conakry, all the returnees were given money for onward transport to their final destinations. Twenty of the most vulnerable returnees will be given reintegration assistance, the IOM report said.

Meanwhile, in its latest update, the IOM reported an estimated 239,923 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2016 up to 13 July, arriving mostly in Italy and Greece.

It said that so far this year an estimated 2,933 deaths have been recorded, compared with 1,838 in the first six months of 2015, and 1,906 up to 13 July last year.

In Greece, the Coast Guard has rescued 49 migrants from three incidents off Lesbos and Kos since July 12th. In one tragedy this week involving a boat believed to be carrying 13 migrants, four people – a man, a woman and two children – died. Another three are missing and six were rescued.

Meanwhile in Italy over 8,900 migrants have been rescued and brought ashore since 1 July. On Tuesday four corpses were found in the hull of a boat after a rescue in the Channel of Sicily. One of them was a child.

On Thursday Italian authorities announced they had concluded their operation to raise a shipwrecked trawler that sank in April 2015 off Libya. Italy said its navy had extracted 458 bodies from inside the vessel since it was brought to shore last month, in addition to the remains of 169 victims found on or around the wreck in recent months.

Additionally, Italy reported 48 more bodies were recovered and brought to shore after its divers returned to the sea bed. There are 28 known survivors of the shipwreck. According to the Italian navy, there are now 675 confirmed victims of the tragedy, with the possibility that more remains may never be recovered.

Tags: featuredGuineaIOM International Organizatin for Migrationmigrants

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libya Dialogue set to seek way out of LPA impasse

Another bloody day in Sirte

Another bloody day in Sirte

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.