No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Rumour-filled Tripoli tense as Serraj’s GNA fails to enter capital

bySami Zaptia
March 28, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The appearance of PM elect Faiez Serraj in Tripoli or the lack of it has made Tripoli very tense (Photo: Archives).
The appearance of PM designate Faiez Serraj in Tripoli or the lack of it has made Tripoli very tense (File photo).

London, 27 March 2016:

Sunday has been a busy and tense day in the capital Tripoli as locals woke up . . .[restrict]to the rumours and counter rumours that PM-designate Faiez Serraj and his GNA were again on their way to the capital. This followed on from the same rumours Friday and Saturday.

At the time of writing there was still no confirmed appearance of Serraj nor his GNA.

The day started off with the shock news for potential passengers that Tripoli’s Mitiga and Misrata airports had, without prior notice, their airspace closed by the Tripoli de facto administration. All inbound and outbound traffic had been suspended.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan and Tunisian Ministers of Economy discuss strengthening cooperation, implementing Joint Committee recommendations

Libyan Industry Union signs MoU with Maghreb Bank for Investment and Foreign Trade BMICE to expand financing opportunities for Libyan industry

A statement later in the day by the administration said that the airspace had been closed for ‘’technical reasons’’. However, security and aviation sources in Tripoli undermined this claim. They said that armed militias had forced aviation personnel to leave their posts at around 4 am. Airline staff were advised not to turn up to work at Mitiga.

Both Libyan Airlines and Afriqiyah Airways in their official statements said that they had been given no reasons for the sudden closure of airspace.

Nevertheless, the rumours persisted all day taking on various twists and turns. Libyan Wings was forced to put out a statement denying that Serraj and the GNA were being transported on one of their flights out of Tunisia into Mitiga. In its statement, the airline added that it was a ‘’commercial’’ entity not involved in the political infighting.

Jamal Zubia, the head of the Tripoli administration’s Foreign Media department was similarly forced to put out a post that Serraj and his GNA were not being flown in by any Libyan Airliners.

There then followed the rumour that Serraj had resigned from the GNA and that the Tunisian authorities had given the GNA deadline by which to leave the country. Both rumours were strongly denied by Serraj’s Media Advisor, Fathi Ben Essa and by Presidential Council member Mohammed Ammary.

Tripoli  has been tense with the increased visibility of armed militias and the sound of gunfire. Locals who drove by Palm City, one of the potential sites for the GNA, reported to Libya Herald that there was increased activity in the area and that the previously low and transparent walls of Palm City are being raised, and that there was a strong checkpoint on the coastal road to Janzur on the way to Palm city.

On the other hand, Fathi Ben Essa, Media Consultant to Faiez Serraj wrote in a philosophical tone tonight. ‘’At the end of the day, the (GNA) Security Committee is working on executing the job professionally and responsibly. Its motto is the safety of the citizen first and foremost. And enabling the Presidential Council to start its responsibilities to its citizens with a spirit that says that revenge does not build a nation or create a state, and injustice does not save a people’’.

‘’When the (Security) Committee completes its procedures, the GNA will enter Tripoli, the entry of a loved son of Tripoli with its hands and its heart open to its people. Working with them to turn over a page of the past to start a new page’’.

‘’Therefore, the entry of the GNA will not be the entry of victory or revenge, as it knows that in a battle between citizens, the victor is the defeated’’.

Tripoli and Libya still awaits. [/restrict]

Tags: Faiez SerrajFathi Ben EssafeaturedGNA Government of National AccordJamal ZubiamilitiasrumoursTunis

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tripoli airspace reopened after ‘’technical’’ reason caused closure

Mitiga airport closed and reopened again Monday as heavy gunfire dominates Tripoli

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.