No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR plans vote on government despite two ministers rejecting nomination

byMichel Cousins
February 16, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub.

Prime Minister-designate Faiez Serraj due in Tobruk tomorrow . . .[restrict](File photo)
Prime Minister-designate Faiez Serraj due in Tobruk tomorrow (File photo)

Tripoli, 15 February 2016:

Prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj flew to Cairo  today after leaving Skhirat and is due in Tobruk tomorrow to present the Presidency Council’s new proposed government to the House of Representatives (HoR). He is, however, already faced with two of his would-be ministers rejecting their nominations: Fakhr Bufernah, chosen as finance minister and Muhanad Younis, given the Martyrs, Wounded and Missing portfolio.

Having concluded on Saturday not to hold today’s session when it appeared that there was no chance of a government being announced in time, the HoR today decided there should be one, but called on Serraj to turn up in person to present his new government tomorrow and spell out its agenda.

According to a source in Tobruk, HoR President Ageela Saleh also wants to give the opportunity to more members to join the vote on the government.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Interviewed on TV today, he said that the HoR had just received the names of the ministers and needed some time to consider them. But it was vitally important that a national unity government be formed at the soonest opportunity, he added.

It is impossible at present to predict how the HoR will respond to the new government offering. The two resignations within hours of it being announced is bound affect its credibility. There are also questions about the proposed ministers’ expertise in the posts they have been given. A leading local government official was damning in his assessment of the new local government minister, Bidad Gansu Massoud. “He does not understand local government,” he told the Libya Herald adding that “most [of the ministers] are not familiar with their departments”.

The rejection of the government by two Presidency Council members, Ali Gatrani, a close ally of General Khalifa Hafter, and laywer Omar Aswad is also bound to influence the views of members.

The latter has said that the reason he refused to sign the announcement was that the government would not work, that several ministers were not up to the job, that there was a lack of transparency in their selection and they had been hurriedly chosen. He also said that that one of the selected ministers stood accused on charges of corruption. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali GatraniFaiez SerrajfeaturedHouse of RepresentativesLibyaOmar Aswad

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Serraj calls for government approval delay, HoR agrees but sets conditions

Fifth anniversary of revolution generates mixed feelings among Libyans

Fifth anniversary of revolution generates mixed feelings among Libyans

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.