No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Officials promise an end “soon” to renewed power cuts in Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
October 10, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Officials promise an end “soon” to renewed power cuts in Tripoli

By Libya Herald reporter.

Zawia pipleine, min oil and gas
Repairs being carried out on the gas supply pipeline to Zawia power station (Photo: Ministry of Oil and Gas)

Tripoli, 10 October 2015:

Tripoli and surrounding areas are again suffering power outages because of a rupture in the . . .[restrict]gas supply to Zawia power station. However, an engineer from Sirte Gas & Oil, the company in charge of maintaining gas pipes feeding the plant, announced yesterday, Friday, that the problem would be solved “soon, in a few hours”.

However, cuts up to 14 hours long, were still affecting Tripoli as of this report, early Saturday morning.

In a statement published on Thursday, the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL), said that the outages came as a result of “unexpected cut of gas supplies to the power plant in the western region, which pushed the company to suspend some generators in order to protect the site from total collapse”.

RELATED POSTS

PowerElec 2025 will be held from 8-11 December at Tripoli International Fairgrounds

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

It said that Tripoli could expect the cuts to endure “in the coming days for long hours”.

The pipeline was cut south of Zawia, according to GECOL as a result of an accident when a farmer was removing some sand near his farm. However, it has also been suggested it was cut by thieves wanting the metal while there are also reports that it was done deliberately to increase problems in the capital.

Earlier on Friday, and before being threatened by the powerful Halbous brigade, a group of Zawia militia were said to have prevented pipeline maintenance workers from accessing the damaged area.

Power outages have been chronic since the revolution, with the lack of security, strikes, theft of cables and the politically-motivated sabotage of installations causing severe cuts in a power supplies that were already insufficient to meet demand.

Two months ago, Khalifa Ghwell, the head of Tripoli-based government, promised to tackle the outage problem that “affects ordinary people, within days.” Struggling with power outages in the capital and the west of country, that were lasting up to 18 hours a day, the Tripoli government in August announced that it would import electricity from Egypt and Tunisia and rent generators to ease blackouts.

Since then, the problem has eased slightly. [/restrict]

Tags: electricityGECOLLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

International support for UNSMIL's presidential council proposals

HoR to debate Dialogue agreement and Leon government names on Monday

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.