No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon loses patience with the GNC: going ahead without them

byNigel Ash
October 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon loses patience with the GNC: going ahead without them

A weary Leon at today's early morning press conference (Photo:Iason Athanasiadis)

By Libya Herald reporters.

A weary Leon at today's early morning press conference (Photo:Iason Athanasiadis)
A weary Leon at today’s early morning press conference (Photo:Iason Athanasiadis)

Tunis, 8 October 2015:

A small gelatina bomb exploded harmlessly outside the GNC yesterday while members were deciding not . . .[restrict]to buy into the latest UNSMIL deal. A far bigger political bomb went off early this morning when UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon announced the formation of the unity government was going ahead without them.

“We have decided to go on,” a weary and crumpled Bernardino Leon told a Skirhat press conference in the small hours of this morning, “and we will continue with the formation of a unity government. Tomorrow, we will be ready to propose this government”.

Leon explained: “After consultations with all the Libyans participating in this national dialogue, I come here to tell you that even though we have been waiting for the GNC to make a decision today, unfortunately this decision has not been the one we were expecting in terms of proposing names for the national unity government”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

He continued that none of the obstacles that it knew it was facing would prevent the national dialogue from proposing a government, “ a government of unity, a strong government that will reunite all the Libyans and will allow Libya to overcome the security crisis and the humanitarian crisis that it is facing”.

Leon continued: “So the message tonight is a message of unity. It’s a message of trust. We know well that there are many Libyans who are confused after what has happened today. Let me say that after consulting with many people inside and outside Tripoli, all over Libya, I can tell them we will prevail, that we will be able to propose a government tomorrow. And this government, this agreement, which is not going to change, this agreement that is final, as it was said very clearly by the international community last Friday, will be supported by the huge majority of the Libyans”.

When asked by a journalist how the new government could operate from Tripoli if it was controlled by the GNC, Leon said it had been a long day, during which UNSMIL had talked to a lot of people. “But what I can tell you is that our impression now is that a huge majority of the Libyans, and this includes a huge majority of Tripoli, and this includes we want also to think, the huge majority of the members of the GNC are ready to support a peaceful solution, a political agreement without changes and a unity government that should be announced tomorrow”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGNC left outgovernment of national unityLeonLibyaSkirhat

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Fast food poisoning affects scores in Tripoli 

Tripoli: Ghut Shaal road reopens after Rada releases detainee

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.