No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UPDATE: Libya Dialogue delegates to meet in New York

byMichel Cousins
September 29, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UPDATE: Libya Dialogue delegates to meet in New York

Libyan flag at the UN (file Photo)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Libyan flag at the UN (file Photo)
Libyan flag at the UN (file photo)

Tripoli/Tunis, 29 September 2015:

Delegates to the UN-brokered Libya Dialogue talks, including those from the House of Representatives (HoR) . . .[restrict]and the General National Congress, will meet in New York on Thursday and Friday, the Libya Herald has been told, although the precise nature of the event remains unclear. Last week UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon announced that the delegates would initial the definitive Draft agreement during the UN General Assembly meeting in New York.  Earlier todayday, though, UN officials had been saying that it was uncertain if the meeting would take place.

Now, according to one western diplomat involved in the process,  there will be a meeting on Thursday to approve the definitive text of the peace plan, finally distributed only last night, then the delegates will chose names for the prime minister, the two deputy prime minsters and the other two members of the presidency council. On Friday, there will be a ceremony, in effect giving the Draft the UN’s blessing, attended by the Secretary General and a number of foreign ministers.

However, another western diplomat has said it was unlikely that a prime minister and the other ministers would be decided in New York.  That would be done when the delegates reconvened at Skhirat, possibly next Sunday, he said.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Meanwhile he and other diplomats expressed fears about the Dialogue momentum being lost and of deadlines not being met. “We’re losing time. It’s going too slow,” he said.

However in what is being seen as a positive move, the HoR yesterday agreed to send its delegates back to the Dialogue, although at the time, according to an HoR spokesman, it had not seen the definitive Draft when it made the decision.

The delgates were pulled out a fortnight ago after Leon agreed to demands from the General National Congress in Tripoli that he include its amendments to the Draft agreement.

The HoR yesterday also agreed to set up a new Dialogue support committee with limited executive powers to enable decisions about the Dialogue to be made more quickly.

Nonetheless, there have been mixed messages coming out of both it and the General National Congress in Tripoli about whether they wish to continue with the Dialogue. There are strong voices in both opposed to it.

Moreover, on Sunday, speaking at the UN General Assembly, HoR President Ageela Salah Gwaider said that the Dialogue negotiations might continue past the 20 October deadline set by Leon.

The fear among those facilitating and backing the Dialogue is that if it passes the deadline, the discussions will continue interminably with no agreement being reached. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònfeaturedLibyaSkhiratUN dialogue

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Benghazi’s Leithi: Army makes first advance in two months

Benghazi's Leithi: Army makes first advance in two months

Striking teachers offered small rise

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.